Logo

Volvo Penta 2001 wont start

jasongifford

"The engine was running OK whe

"The engine was running OK when the boat was lifted in August 2009. At this time a full service was carried out including fuel filters. However, in November 2009 I tried to start the engine without success. The fuel system was bled and diesel is reaching the injectors. After several minutes of trying I noticed puffs of white smoke coming from the air filter intake. I suspected a stuck valve so removed the rocker cover and checked. But the valve gear all appears to be running smoothly. I have given up trying pending assistance for fear of burning out the starter motor. Any idea what might be wrong?"

"Loosen the pressure line nut

"Loosen the pressure line nut on the injector, run the starter until you see clean squirts of diesel, tighten the nut (while cranking) and engine should start.
You would need an extra 'hand'."

"Thanks for all your feedback.

"Thanks for all your feedback. I managed,today, to get the engine to pop using some WD40 and a squirt of oil in the air intake. I also loosened the exhaust hose and let all the cooling water out which was creating back pressure. I believe that the problem is now air in the system rather than anything really serious. I spotted bubbles travelling along the injecter return to fuel tank line and I could not seem to get a steady stream of fuel at the injector. I suspect now a missing washer or gasket somewhere along the fuel system. I am going to systematically bleed the system at all filters and joins until I cant see bubbles in the line anymore."

Hi Jason

Sounds like the common problem on these engines where the valve seats corrode causing the valves to not seal hence the reason your seeing white smoke coming back up the in let manifold. recommend removing injectors and compression testing the cylinder, should see min 250 psi or engine will not run to full preformance, let me know how you get on

Re: "The engine was running OK whe

I am having the same problem with my 2001.
I rebuilt it 12 months ago, and it has been running well. I had to put a new starter motor on it, and changed all the fuel filters. The entire system was bleed and everything looks fine.
The motor cranks but will not start.

Any ideas?

"The engine was running OK when the boat was lifted in August 2009. At this time a full service was carried out including fuel filters. However, in November 2009 I tried to start the engine without success. The fuel system was bled and diesel is reaching the injectors. After several minutes of trying I noticed puffs of white smoke coming from the air filter intake. I suspected a stuck valve so removed the rocker cover and checked. But the valve gear all appears to be running smoothly. I have given up trying pending assistance for fear of burning out the starter motor. Any idea what might be wrong?"

Back