Logo

1966 AQ130C fuel fitting thread sizes

lodochnik

"I'm hoping to replace the 1966-era fuel lines with AN fittings and modern hoses. Wonder if anyone here has done this with an AQ130, and if there is information available with the thread specs for the fuel pump and Solex 44PA1 carburetors. If not, I'll measure myself and post in the next week or so."

"Sorry I can't help with t

"Sorry I can't help with the thread specs, but I would be very interested in hearing details about the fuel lines and fittings replacements you end up with."

"I got out a micrometer and th

"I got out a micrometer and thread gage and this is what I found:

Fuel pump, both inlet and outlet: 1/8-27 tapered pipe thread.

Solex 44PA1 Carbs- fuel inlet: M8x1.25 banjo fitting.

My objective is to make up new fuel lines using AN fittings, and I've found most, but not all the necessary hardware.

These folks sell -3 AN to 1/8-27 NPT adapters which would be mounted to the fuel pump ports:
http://www.russellperformance.com

These folks sell 8mm banjo fittings needed at the carbs. They appear to be brake fittings but I don't know why they wouldn't be fine on the carbs:
http://www.bonacoinc.com

I have an inquiry in to Bonaco about availability of the following:

-3 AN to 8mm banjos
M8x1.25 banjo bolts

and either:
-3AN to 8mm double banjo

or:
Double M8x1.25 banjo bolts

These last 2 items are needed to send fuel to the "second" carburetor from the fitting on the "first" carb to receive fuel from the fuel pump.

I didn't bother posting anything about fittings on the fuel tank and shut-off valves, etc. as those would be peculiar to the boat in question. My boat (Coronet) was built in Denmark, so it might be metric, and it might be NPT- I haven't looked yet. If I find the rest of the hardware, I'll post sources here. Hope this helps others who want to replace old fuel lines."

"I have a sad Coronet story fo

"I have a sad Coronet story for you... Back in 1982 I saw a 24 ft Coronet Weekender for sale at the local marina. Apparently the owner got behind on fees and the boat got repo'd. At the time, the teak trim was about 80% (wheel broken), and the engines looked sad (twin, 4 cyl Volvos), and the boat had been uncovered in the yard (in New Jersey) for several years. The yard wanted $5500, a crazy price at the time, given its condition.

Last fall on a rainy day my wife and I happened to drive past the same marina... I told her the story of the sad Botved and lo and behold... It was still there... uncovered, hatch missing, wheel totally destroyed. Could not bring myself to get out of the car and look further. Botveds are GREAT boats, and this one did not deserve its fate."

"O-o-h, m-a-a-n, it must be a

"O-o-h, m-a-a-n, it must be a total wreck now! Painful just to read about. Had the marina been reasonable, they could have recovered some money and this boat could have been restored. There were a few 24' and 27' Coronets for sale in the CT-RI area in recent years, but they seem to have disappeared-one would hope to good homes. Mine is a 24' Cabin-I like the low maintenance of the glas hull combined with teak decks and much use of mahogany inside. She was repowered in the 1990s which is why I'm working on 130Cs instead of 130As. It's good to hear from someone who knows what these Botved boats are."

"Lodochnik, what sort of repla

"Lodochnik, what sort of replacement fuel lines will you be using? Aluminum?"

"Bob,
I'm replacing only

"Bob,
I'm replacing only the flexible lines that go from the rigid line coming from the fuel tank to the fuel pumps and then from the fuel pumps to the carburetors. I'd like to use the type of stainless steel braided line shown in the link. It may be overkill, but I'd rather err on the side of safety when it comes to gasoline-which is way more volatile than Diesel fuel. The old cloth-braided lines are a little scary. (I'm not endorsing Summit over an other supplier; it's just one possible source.)
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/Spectre-Performance/Product-Line/Spectr e-SSteel-Flex-Fuel-Lines/?autoview=SKU

If I were replacing rigid line, I would prefer stainless steel tubing. I don't think aluminum tubing would be as durable, particularly where subjected to vibration.

George"

"George, yea those hoses look

"George, yea those hoses look like they would be fine, however are they US Coast Guard approved? I bet not and for me, since I live in the USA, that could be a potential issue."

"That's a good point. I ha

"That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that since the SS braided is clearly an improvement over what's there now, but that doesn't mean it's approved. I've done some looking on the USCG site, but don't find pertinent information. Do you know where this is available?"

"Here is something I found. T

"Here is something I found. Trying to make sense of it all is another story.
biggrin.gif

http://tinyurl.com/yaobb4x"

"I read this series of posting

"I read this series of postings.

I have an AQ 140 A engine that I'm trying to
restore ...... the fuel line is missing....

The exact line that I need has a hex style fitting at the fuel pump ..... the line itself
has an inverted flare at the pump end. So far,
I can not find this exact fuel line.

I have a "loop line" which should work ....
it has a loop at the fuel pump end .... a Volvo
shop suggested that I have a hydraulics shop
cut off the loop part ..... and flare the end of the line...... before I do that, I need the
correct fitting to put onto the line.

Does anyone know where I can pick up this exact
fitting ? So far, I am stumped.

Thanks.

John Lofquist"

"BobD- Whew! As you say, how d

"BobD- Whew! As you say, how do you apply all this to real world products? I have come across marine racing engine fuel line products which use AN fittings and SS braided lines, and one would think that they would adhere to pretty rigorous marine standards. But what is good for racing may not be approved for "pleasure craft", so the research must continue.

John- see link for fuel lines for your engine. Should be no need to modify/cut off the banjo fittings when you can buy OEM. Hope this helps.
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Fuel-System-Aq140a/dm/store_id.366--view_id.32594 0"

"John Lofquist- Just saw the o

"John Lofquist- Just saw the other thread on this... I'm not clear on whether you need the fitting where the banjo connects (item 15 in the picture) or the fitting at the left side of the pump where line (item 39) is attached. This almost looks like a barbed fitting, and they are *usually* NPT. I think, failing all else, El Pescador has the best suggestion. I would also try a good hardware store that has a large assortment of plumbing/air/hydraulic/fuel fittings and see if you can find something to match the pump. (In my case, the fuel pump ports are both 1/8-27 NPT, which fitting is readily available in a number of configurations.) If you do find a match, you may have to go through another adapter or two to mate with the fuel line or other fittings."

"Mr. Lodochnik --

Thanks fo

"Mr. Lodochnik --

Thanks for your posts.

Mr. El Pescador's suggestion is probably what
I'll end up doing ..... great idea.....

The V/P drawing shows the "loop" line ...as I call it ..... item 15 .... it took a lot of
searching, but I finally came up with a used
"loop" line .... ( loop in the sense that it
has a loop at the fuel pump end of the line...
not a hex style fitting ) ... I'm still searching for a used fuel line with the hex style
fitting .... the line that I need starts at the
fuel pump ..... then it runs straight towards the
stern ..... then, it makes a 90 degree bend upwards to the right hand / stern carb.....
( secured with banjo bolt ).... then, it runs
left & makes a full circle before tying into
the left hand / forward carb..... Note that the
Item 15 in the drawing ( the loop line ) heads
straight up to the left carb ...then the circle
bend ..... tying into the right / stern carb....
totally / completely backwards.

Anyway, I live in a logging community....with a
great hardware store ....and handy people....

Thank you for your suggestions....

All the best,

John Lofquist
Beaver, Washington 98305"

Back