Logo

Top End Power Loss on 30 HP

fishin_bug

I have a 14' Carolina skif

I have a 14' Carolina skiff with a 30 hp yamaha I can only get 2650 rpm out of it on the water. Not in gear it will rev to 5000 rpm. Am I asking too much from this 30 hp Yamaha or should it be reving higher and going faster?
Thanks

"It has stamped on it 1430 5

"It has stamped on it 1430 5 5, and a 505 in another spot. I'm not sure wheather these are meaningful, I have not had it off, and it is in real good shape. There were automatic trim tabs on I just took off, I didn't think they would help a little boat much. I do have a 18 gallon fuel tank and 2 batteries under the back deck. I have been going out after trying something different to see how it will go.
Thanks"

"After some investigation on p

"After some investigation on props I found out that it a 9 7/8" dia prop, The pitch ??? 1480 stamped on it along with 505, and 588.
I have no Idea unless I take the 14 from the 1480 and say it's a 14 pitch. Now looking at other props this one is at one end of the scale.
Would I be correct on this?
Thanks"

does it get out of the hole slow? if take off is super slow to plane off, its the prop, down pitch it, every 1 pitch down will give you approx+200 rpm,

I have the same problem. A mechanic told me the bottom bowl ofthe carburator kiks in around 2500. He suggested I might have water in the bottom bowl. We drained the bowl and it helped, but I still hav e problems. Mine is a ten year old 4 stroke.
Good Luck

Back