Logo

2000 Johnson 150hp Ocean Pro Help Disconnecting the oil injection

cmone42

"I have a 2000 150HP Ocean Pro

"I have a 2000 150HP Ocean Pro that I have disconnected the oil injection and need help with the "No Oil Alarm" I disconnected the oil reservoir and capped the fitting on the connection into the motor. I also disconnected the brown and black wire on the motor that led from the oil reservoir as well. I am now mixing my own oil and the alarm is going off for "No Oil" My questions are as follows:

1) Does it matter where I cap the oil fitting in the oil lines? Do I need to do this directly on the VRO, or is the location I have capped OK?

2) What wires do I need to disconnect in order to stop the "NO OIL" alarm?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE HELP!
"

"follow the VRO/OMS pump wires

"follow the VRO/OMS pump wires,there is a plug-in conn there,disconnect it..u r ok,capped there,however,i feel that on the pump inlet,is better.a vacuum line cap,fr auto parts wks great."

It's best not to rely on t

It's best not to rely on the VRO.I would rather mix. As 100% gas would burn a hole in your pistons.I have to much invested to rely on a POS Bombardier part when the old style pump worked so well. So plug off your oil intake where your gas intake is.The best way is to use a short piece of hose with a stainless 1/4 x 3/4 inch bolt as a plug.

"easy Steve,

In watching th

"easy Steve,

In watching this board for years now, I'm not aware of a single powerhead destroyed by a VRO pump that failed and didn't alarm. There are however at least 2 instances on this board where engines have been destroyed by lack of oil in a pre-mix setting."

"jwbmarine, thank you for the

"jwbmarine, thank you for the help!

As for my decision to disconnect, I prefer to have things in my control rather than leave them them to chance. The last thing I want to do is trust electronics in SALT water. This is a 10 year old motor that is in great shape. The oil alarm went off one time and that is all I needed. By the time that goes off, the motor has already been running for a few seconds with no oil, burning up your cylinders. Perhaps the reason we don't read about others on here is because they are kicking themselves for not doing the same thing, and after the failure and blown motor, what are you going to post about? The only posting you will see is "new motor needed"
Anyway, I have always mixed my own oil 50:1. I am used to doing it, so I won't have any issues. This way, I know for certain I will never have a lack of oil. If I do, there is no one to blame but myself. Everyone has there own preference/opinion.

THANKS
"

"well,just posted the info,so

"well,just posted the info,so u could make a more educated decision... i am right in the middle on them... i disable many,and i inst many new ones....its a customer preference...but my biggest item,that affects each person,is thier desire,..to keep it,AND maintain it...no one wants to spend the money every few yrs to ck the warning horns,oil consumption tests,and service oil tank......those,def need not be on the oiling system...."

"That post was more for Dcrame

"That post was more for Dcramer. Thank you so much for all the help! I was also on the fence about disconnecting, trust me. But I just decided to go ahead and do it.

Anyway, I need some help with which color wires to disconnect. Coming out of the VRO, I have a Purple, Grey, Black, and Brown wire. Which ones do I disconnect?

Thanks again!!!"

"also,the lamp cord looking t

"also,the lamp cord looking tan/blk wires that go to oil tank..tape thos that go into harness."

I agree with dcramer I am stru

I agree with dcramer I am struggling to remember an engine I have rebuilt over the last 30 years that was caused by pump failure. As for running out of oil for a second or two there is no way your engine would sustain any damage. As the oil and fuel are already mixed in the carbys and fuel line between pump and carbys.

People would remove or rather disconect the oil side because of over oiling problems associated with air leaks into the fuel side.

"I just want to clarify: Krist

"I just want to clarify: Kristian, I'm not challenging your decision. Everyone's got to make the choice that makes them the most comfortable.

When people make statements like "it't junk" or "POS Bombardier" without any supporting facts or experience, I tend to challenge that perception. Everyone's got an opinion, and acting on it with you're own motor is fine, but if you are going to try to influence someone else, facts are required. Just MHO....."

"yep,...and i'm not sure,.

"yep,...and i'm not sure,..i've ever,..rebuilt one,..any size,on the vro,...where all cyl's were bad...."

"(VRO Changeover Judgement

"(VRO Changeover Judgement Call)
(J. Reeves)

The VROs first came out in 1984 and have been upgraded quite a few times. In my opinion, back around 1988, they had perfected them but I think that they were upgraded even more since then. As long as the warning system is operating as it should, I feel quite at ease with them.

Some boaters have voiced their thoughts such as "What if that overpriced plastic horn should fail while I'm under way for some reason, and the VRO decides to fail five minutes later?" Obviously that would result in a big problem which really brings their fears into view.

The word "ease" is the key word though. If one has the slightest feeling of being ill at ease with that setup, then they should take the route they feel more at ease with. A judgement call each individual would need to make on their own.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store
(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)
(J. Reeves)

You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup (and fuel restriction warning if so equipped) by doing the following:

1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.

2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.

3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quantity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.

That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

When you know how to check the VRO and OMS pump it is a very reliable pump system! I have seen dozens, maybe hundreds of very good Evinrude and Johnson engines with good and reliable VRO/OMS pumps. The main issue is have it checked regulary (yearly) by a good tech!

Back