Logo

Mercury prop question 1998 200 hp

sbklf

Contributing Member
"I finally got my boat in the

"I finally got my boat in the water and have not looked at the prop closely to try and figure how these merc props work (I am use to OMC and Yamaha). It is a Mercury Marine Bravo 3 blade stainless prop. I put it in gear to tow the boat and when I checked to make sure it was in gear, the prop will spin about 1/8 turn (maybe a little more) back and forth on the shaft. it is not wobbly or anything it just has this play. It does not seem to vibrate when under way. I feel this might be normal but not sure. I will take it to a shop if I need to but thought someone here might be able to inform me on this."

That's normal.

If you t

That's normal.

If you turn it by hand a little harder you will find that it will rachet in one direction but stop dead in the other.

In forward it should rachet if turned clockwise (and stop dead counter-clockwise after a very short travel) and vice versa for reverse.

That's just how the clutch in these works...

"I should have added that on s

"I should have added that on some models you can get it to rachet in forward, but it will "lock up" (after a bit of play) in both directions when in reverse.

If yours is like that, it would also be considered "normal"."

Back