Logo

1988 is idols runs but wont power up

fissen_green

"this motor will start good id

"this motor will start good idol good can throttle it up and it will stall
I am looking to buy this motor but do not want it to be a piston problem.

thnx"

If it starts easily and idles

If it starts easily and idles well its not likely to have a piston problem but a wise move to do a compression check if you can.

More likely to be a carb problem .. in need of cleaning It'll return to idle again Ok if you close the throttle before it stalls ??

"In agreement with Vic. If com

"In agreement with Vic. If compression and spark are okay, usual problem is a fouled carburetor.

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubber portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back