Logo

Coolant Loss in 60L MPI

jimw

"I have a pair of fresh water

"I have a pair of fresh water cooled 6.0L crusaders in my Pusuit 3100. I have to refill the port engine degas tank almost every time I take run it. However, even after running all day, I have never had it overheat. The temperature gauge is always around 175 degrees and the engine runs fine. I have replaced risers and manifolds on both engines (as normal maintenance) and expected that to solve the problem. It hasn't.

I don't think I am getting water into the cylinders because I would expect that there would be engine damage. (This has been going on for a year or more.)

I do notice a "sweet smell" around the boat that could be heated antifreeze. I am beginning to wonder if I have a small leak in the fresh water core in the heat exchanger and the coolant with antifreeze is being run out of the exhaust with the raw water.

Does this make any sense or should I look elsewhere. Any thoughts would be appreciated."

"I'm not one of the "e

"I'm not one of the "experts" Jim, but I've been in this situation before and recognized that "sweet smell". I noticed it behind the boat at the slip. In my situation, the heat exchanger was failing. I replaced it and all was well.
Steve"

I am assuming you can find no

I am assuming you can find no trace of coolant in the bilge. If that is the case a cooling system pressure test is in order.

No evidence of coolant in the

No evidence of coolant in the bilge. Auto pressure test kits won't work with the degas tank on the engine because of the different type caps. I may have to make some kind of cap that I can hook up a guage and pressure port (auto air valve).

jimw:

your local 'brand

jimw:

your local 'brand name' autoparts stores will lend/rent the adapter kit for the pressure tester. there are usually ~ a dozen different threaded adapters in it.

I agree with Rick regarding the steps he outlined.

"That bottle is actually a Vol

"That bottle is actually a Volvo product and a test cap for a Volvo automotive system will fit, Snap-On has them. If at first your test does not indicate a leak, drain the system and test it again."

Back