Logo

Volvo KAMD 44 EDC

rainerg2

"Hi all, I have a Riviera 30 O

"Hi all, I have a Riviera 30 Offshore with two KAMD-P EDC diesels shaft driven.
The port side motor does not want to go past 2400 revs by itself, however when I rev up the stbd motor which goes effortless to WOT the slowly the port motor also comes to the same rev range and stays there and I usually rev down to between 2900 and 3200 and the engines synchronise properly. Why does the port engine not rev up without the stbd engine kind of 'pacemeking'? Any thoughts? there is no smoke by the way.
Any advice is appreciated.
Rainerg2"

"Hi Alan, the port side engine

"Hi Alan, the port side engine will not come up to speed by itself and I correct the earlier statement that whilst trying to get the port motor up to speed she emits a lot of black smoke.
I did not try hard enough.
Thanks
Rainer"

hi there

id be confident in saying that its the turbo, as on these engines the super charger is used for intail turbo lag and kicks out at 2400 revs and turbo the takes over to produce the top end of the engine, if the turbo is seized or not producing anoth boost it will emit black smoke and cause loss of power and revs. two ways of check, 1st take off either exhaust elbow or inlet pipe with two cap screws off inlet side of turbo and try spinning turbo shaft by hand, should be easy to spin, if not able to turn then replacement turbo needed, if turning ok recommend sea trial with boost gauge connected to inlet manifold, you should see boost in the range of 15psi to 20 psi, anything less then recommend replacing turbo. let me know how you get on

I have twin KAMD 44PEDCs (260hp) in my 2002 3000 Pursuit I bought last August. I have turbo lag in the port side engine. Super charger kicks out at about 2800 RPMs, stbd engine will go straight through to 3600rpms once the throttle is pinned but it may take 2 or 3 seconds for the port engine to catch-up through the RPM range. I thought it was due to a fouled bottom and props but just put in the water this evening with fresh paint on everything and both engines fully serviced (turbos are fine), and took for a ride and experienced the same turbo lag. Once up on plane, both engines will easily max at WOT of ~3900 rpm (top speed just north of 28 knots) and engines sound great. I've asked my mechanic about this and he said it could be because the stbd engine is the master engine (EDCs are synchronized) and that it may take a couple seconds for the port to catch-up??? Now that I had the same problem with a clean bottom and full engine service, I'm going to get them out again and they may try to reset the super chargers (for what that means). I have a friend who has the larger volvo EDCs (400s?) on a 36 pursuit and does not experience this issue.

I have been able to control it under certain conditions by throttling up to just before the super charger kicks out, letting the boat gain good speed and up on plain a little and then pin the throttle and the lag is not noticeable, but go out a couple weeks later with different water conditions, trimmed slightly different and the lag comes back. It's annoying but don't thing it is a major issue for concern?

I will post if I find out anything else. Would be interested in any other thoughts.

mike have your engineer run a boost gauge linked to both engines and you will see the turbo boost, test both engines, see if the boost struggles on the lazy engine, if the boost reacts the same as the other engine then i would suggest looking at the injection pump

I have twin KAMD 44PEDCs (260hp) in my 2002 3000 Pursuit I bought last August. I have turbo lag in the port side engine. Super charger kicks out at about 2800 RPMs, stbd engine will go straight through to 3600rpms once the throttle is pinned but it may take 2 or 3 seconds for the port engine to catch-up through the RPM range. I thought it was due to a fouled bottom and props but just put in the water this evening with fresh paint on everything and both engines fully serviced (turbos are fine), and took for a ride and experienced the same turbo lag. Once up on plane, both engines will easily max at WOT of ~3900 rpm (top speed just north of 28 knots) and engines sound great. I've asked my mechanic about this and he said it could be because the stbd engine is the master engine (EDCs are synchronized) and that it may take a couple seconds for the port to catch-up??? Now that I had the same problem with a clean bottom and full engine service, I'm going to get them out again and they may try to reset the super chargers (for what that means). I have a friend who has the larger volvo EDCs (400s?) on a 36 pursuit and does not experience this issue.

I have been able to control it under certain conditions by throttling up to just before the super charger kicks out, letting the boat gain good speed and up on plain a little and then pin the throttle and the lag is not noticeable, but go out a couple weeks later with different water conditions, trimmed slightly different and the lag comes back. It's annoying but don't thing it is a major issue for concern?

I will post if I find out anything else. Would be interested in any other thoughts.
Sounds like the port engine maybe dropping supercharger too early. Slowly increase both engine rpms and listen for them to drop out they should drop out at the same rpm (about 2700) If port drops out before this, it would give the problem you describe as turbo is not fully spooled. It is an easy adjustment to change rpm drop out, there is a POT in the black control box above the injector pump..

Thanks for the feedback. Mechanic wanted to rule out EDC control module problems first so he flipped them between engines which didn't help the port engine. Waiting to talk with him again to see what else to do. We might next flip the turbos to make sure there is no issue with the turbo? Isn't there a boost value that is open while the super charger is running to vent pressure off of the exhaust but closes once supercharger disengages to give the immediate boost - could there be an issue with this valve?

Volvopentatech - is it an issue with boost if the port turbo eventually picks up?

Col - I will check this again, but the port side supercharger has a squeaky belt or fitting so I can tell it has been disengaging between 2700-2800 rpms - the same as the stb engine. Plus this issue only starts once the RPMs go over 2800 rpms, anything below that and the port engines is humming nicely.

yes the engine will lag if your turbo isn't boosting fast anoth and holding back, if your engineer has access to a Volvo edc key or laptop then he can monitor the boost that way aswell, i suggest checking that 1st before swapping over turbos

I think the mechanic found the problem. The exhaust side of the turbo has an unusually large space between the blade and the wall and there appeared to be some wear on the blade, so it looks like the exhaust may have been slipping past the blade therefore eroding the boost needed once the super charger kicked out. The turbo only has 400 hours of use, so the mechanic is stumped as to what caused this - could have be a factory defect. Now looking for a recon turbo - hopefully this fixes it.

Hi all, I found out that the port side Kompressor does not come on at all , hence the smoke when I only accelerate the port engine but the stbd motor drags the port up. Now , what controls the Kompressor? The EDC?
Cheers
Rainer

Thanks Volvopentatech, is there a process that one can follow to test the Kompressoer clutch? Is it easy to remove the EDC unit? I thought it best to test the clutch first?
Thanks
Rainer

glad to see you got to the bottom of it, as i mentioned in my earlier posts i have done so many of these for this problem and wanted you to run a boost gauge to see exactly what was happening. Hope i helped in some way

Volvopentatech,

Hope you are still around? After two sucessful years on the new turbo (with only 75-100 hours), the turbo lag between the handoff from the supercharger to the turbo has returned again in my port side engine. Short of trying to get Volvo to give a new turbo (checking to see if these things are under warranty), any suggestions - should I get my engineer to run a boost test or any other diagnostics?

Many thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike, I was looking for an answer to a similar problem and came across this thread. I think you may have an issue with water getting to your turbo, does the exhaust side have thick soot and scaling? If so its probably water ruining your turbo, but it's weird if it is only happening on one side.
Andy

These Volvo turbos don't have a great life expectancy, but what you are experiencing at ~100hrs is crazy. I would run a boost gauge on it initially to confirm the loss of boost. Also check the boost whilst on the supercharger and check whether this is within spec as well. One possibility is that you have a leak on the intake side that is leaking boost rather than the turbo not creating the boost. Same symptoms, but one is a loose bolt/clamp, blown rubber hose etc, and the other is a dead turbo.

Still having the same issues, even worse now and the starboard engine acting up a little. Today I took off the exhaust elbow (before seeing your post above) on each turbo and there is a lot of thick soot and scaling (i can share a picture if anyone wants one). I had to clean up the flanges before putting back together in order to get a good on the port side. I don't know a lot about turbos, but I was shocked when I saw the soot and scaling, it certainly did not look right. If its water getting in the exhaust side, anyone have any ideas howitzer is getting there?

On a separate note, if I need to replace anyone know a good place to get some refurbished turbos?

Mike

Where are you based Mike? These Volvo turbos are pretty poor and there are now guys who make a living machining out the worn exhaust housings and inserting a better quality CNC machined insert. Usually between US$400 and $800 here in NZ depending on what needs doing to your Turbo. Only problem is getting in the long line of Volvo owners waiting for yet another Turbo rebuild.

Thanks for the contact info. I'm in Bermuda, NZ would be a long way to send, the US would be the best option for me. I will let you know how things go. These are three year old turbos with only 150 hours, so there must be something else assisting in their short life, other than a crappy product, I will probably end up checking and replacing the exhaust elbows as well.

Turbos are an expensive replacement to be doing every three years if something else is causing the issue.

Back