Logo

Lower unit removal 2002 140 hp 4 stroke

wold

"I have what i thought was a 2002 Johnson 140 hp 4 stroke outboard but was told today by a service person at a local boat repair shop that it was a suzuki.he has not seen the motor.
my problem is I have taken the six bolts plus the two under the,heck I can't think of its name now but the little black thing under the unit,but I cannot get the lower unit to drop at all,I was told there is no pin or bolt under the carbs to remove on this particular engine.Help?"

"you also have the one under t

"you also have the one under trim anode, but you said you removed that one right"

"Thank you,my boat is on a lif

"Thank you,my boat is on a lift 30 miles from here so I will be going over there this coming monday and will give that a try.Again thank you for your help and I hope this works."

"If I need the help you can be

"If I need the help you can bet I will,Thank you.
P.S.I will try and rememer the time zone difference if I call,I am in florida.
Bob"

well I tried putting it in rev

well I tried putting it in reverse and no luck.I can wiggle it about a 1/4 inch.

"My service manual for my 140

"My service manual for my 140 Suzuki (DF 140) says to shift into neutral, remove the trim tab and the bolt under it (7 bolts total). Before you separate the gearcase too far, remove the speedometer pick up tube. "If necessary remove the clutch rod from the clutch shaft."

I would call the "clutch rod" the shift rod. It looks like there is a splined shift shaft sticking up about one inch above the lower unit. The coupling it fits into can be seen below the lower rubber mounts. It is possible that this splined shaft could stick in the coupling, but my guess is that you did not remove the bolt under the trim tab."

I have removed the bolts under

I have removed the bolts under the trim tab.There were 2 so all together I have removed 8 bolts.

I talked with Johnson tech sup

I talked with Johnson tech support they said the splines have fallen in love and are stuck together.lol.

Back