Logo

Metal shavings removal 1993 7.4 L

I have 7.4 liter mercruiser 1993 model. I had an issue with it eating the gear from the distributor ground two and the third seems to be fine. I changed the oil and filter after I replaced both times. Is there anything else I should do? Should I have engine pulled and pan cleaned? It is in a 290 sundancer and I doubt I can drain from bottom. Will magnets help?

"this 93'motor original or

"this 93'motor original or was it rebuilt and thats when the gears started to get eatin?

You seem to have dodged a bullet with the pieces of the gears they are on the bottom of the pan, or you would know already.

And if you rebuilt the motor and the gears started going i know why."

"Original distributor ? I mean

"Original distributor ? I mean.. was the first disc gear to be eaten the original ? and the second one, was the gear replaced or entire dist ?"

"Will magnets help?"

"Will magnets help?"

Can't hurt to put one next to the drain plug. You may be able to get some pieces out thru it. After each oil pump out place a diaper under the drain bolt and remove it. Use the magnet to pull the pieces thru the hole.

"Knowing how mush work it is t

"Knowing how mush work it is to pull a motor, then pull the pan usually i try everything and anything before performing the task.

This case i have to say pull the motor,drain the pan, and DON'T turn the motor over pull the pan, that will leave all the pieces in the pan. Clean the pan good.

Then turn the motor, and give the oil pump a good look see, and post the result.

I hated to make this post i see no other way around it. We will go from there."

As Far as magnets go

I plac

As Far as magnets go

I place a nice powerful one on my oil filter.....

Just to keep any metal particals in the filter.

They sell magnetic oil filter covers or just get a old set of 6x9 car speakers and get the magnets off them.........

the history on the distributor

the history on the distributor is about a year ago I was running at cruising speed when the engine just stopped. Luckily I was able to get a tow. When the Dstributor was pulled it had worn on one side to the point that it lost grab. I took the Distributor to my work (Technical Training Center) where we have a machine and a auto shop. They took the shaft from another distributor and the Machine guy made a new bushing. The old one was oval shape. Then about six months later the boat would not come on plane and we found that the Dist. had worn again but more uniformly. Replaced with fatory rebuilt and as of yet have not had problems or no sign of wear.

"I am just wondering if you bo

"I am just wondering if you bought this boat new then there was no rebuild on the motor, it's unusual. However if there was a rebuild on the motor they might have put a high volume spring in the oil pump.

This high volume spring will destroy a stock gear.

This is all speculation because i don't know if there was a rebuild.

See now why i asked all the questions that i asked?

Hopefully you might be ok. You take a big chance everytime the gear goes, so far you dodged a bullet, you dont want all those shaving going thru your motor.

Thats why i posted clean the pan. If you do the work yourself you only going to need a pan gasket.

Maybe a can or 2 of good spray paint, to spray the pan 4-5 times after you do the pan clean out and it's all back together.

I sprayed my motor about 4-5 times because i know it won't be done again till the motor gets pulled again.

You need a good day to do it if you choose."

I am the second owener. The en

I am the second owener. The engine was replaced the second year due to freezing. After the first year the boat mostly sat on a lift in a covered slip. It will be a job bigger than I can handle to get the motor pulled. 290 Sundancer and I have no trailer. that is why I am asking. If it is necessary I will pay to have it hauled and pulled. It may be worth the 2k just for peace of mind.

Back