Logo

2009 6 hp suzuki constantly have to choke to start

savagestrike

"I have a 09 6hp suzuki 4 stroke that takes 8 pulls on the starter when stone cold before it will fire. After warmed up and run if you stop for more than 20-30 minutes to fish you have to pull choke all the way out to start again, even in 90 degree weather. Any suggestions? Bought the motor new from on-line outboards."

I did nothing but uncrate it a

I did nothing but uncrate it and bolt it on the boat. I ran all of 2009. Great motor other than this annoying starting and choking. I.ve had lots of outboards and can make necessary adjustments if somebody knows where i should start. Fairly simple little motor compared to some I've run. (had a 2001 225 optimax that blew up twice within the first year. It had lots of bugs and Mercury Techs never got it right-sold it after a year and a half - most expensive piece of junk I ever put on a boat)

"This has been a problem since

"This has been a problem since the first time I put gas in motor. Its not major, just annoying. Motor has never failed to start hot or cold as long as you fully choke first."

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
star.gif
I have a 6hp Suzuki,similar problem,new engine,fresh gas,with stabil in it..started easy.Didnt want to restart after stopped had to choke it and pull and pull...Wondering if there's a flaw in this engine that is common?"

Re: 6 hp suzuki constantly have to choke to start

I found my problem...I bought a new attwood fuel line.Its a univeral line 3/8 and im still using the 5/16 fittings..The engine runs great,cranks first time once choked when cold. No choking required after..starts right up after warm a nd shotting it off..The cheap fuel line that came with the tank ,was poorly made and the bulb ,kept collapsing...Our local Suzuki dealer uses 6hp suzuki's on his rental boats and swears by them with no problems.....R Chandler

Back