Logo

1982 dt 85 hp hard starting

asanders

my dt85 is very hard to start cold-I start it out of water warm it up abit then put into water still have to choke exsessive to get running--once warmed up a bit runs great - if sits in water for couple hours need excessive choking again.any ideas

"Sound like fuel gum in the bo

"Sound like fuel gum in the bowls of the carbys or parochial blocked main jets? as the engine gets hot the gum changes from a solid to a liquid, but will not be sucked through the main jets.
the only way to remove it is to clean the carbies"

carbs were redone and motor wa

carbs were redone and motor was redone --I should add that I live in canada and the water temp right now is approx 50 farienhiet--exhaust bybass is clear--

"how long ago was the engine r

"how long ago was the engine rebuilt. has it been a problem form the rebuild date? if it is running fine hot it can only be a fuel delivery problem it only takes a tank of bad fuel and all the cleaning before hand is undone . trust me i have herd the comment" I have had the carbies cleaned" so many times , only to remove them myself and find the main jets blocked."

I just this week cleaned them

I just this week cleaned them myself-complete ter down and blew out eveything--no dirt or anything even in the float bowls.when I prime the ball gets hard. The oil injection system has been disabbled and I am running 50:1 premix should the spark plugs be changed to a differant heat range

already rebuilt not long ago a

already rebuilt not long ago and no hrs on them but took them apart to recheck and to see if any dirt or water in them--they were fine--I think the problem might be spark plus and since I'm running premix that the plaugs need to be differant--any comments.

fyi I hooked up the injection

fyi I hooked up the injection system and am running straight gas -the injection sysyem has bee fixed and the engine is much easier to start and it idle very well now--this engine doesn't perform very well on premix gas

"Have had many boat people tel

"Have had many boat people tell me to eliminate oil injection line and use premix. But, one old timer with repair shop says to ask how many have seen an oil injection system fail. He's right.. no one has seen them fail, but were told they would. I have to believe him. I've only had a couple oil injected engines, and never any oil problems. Likewise with premix. What say you??"

I have to agree. I have been t

I have to agree. I have been told the same thing. on my snowmobiles i have unhooked my injection systems and they run very well with no adjustments made to them-but this dt85 definatly runs better on injected oil than premix.

Back