Logo

1989 285 volvo outdrive what props are avalible

invader186

"i own a 89 invader 186 sport I/O with (AQ231B MOTOR W/285 OUTDRIVE) I see 270,275,280,290 outdrives but I cant find a 285 volvo outdrive (made in sweden)?I need a new prop, I belive I have the long hub any ideas where to go to find a prop to fit the 285. I am looking for a cruise-speed prop mix."

"The 285 was not very common.

"The 285 was not very common. I've found info that states it was a V-8 ratio only (1.61:1).
However, this makes little difference as for your prop. If you do not have the orginal propeller...., you must do a trail and error OEM spec WOT RPM test to learn which prop is correct! No short cuts, sorry!

Any of these AQ series drives will accept short or long hub propellers.
It's the prop hardware that makes the install work or not work. Not the drive!
You will need the 280/290 (longer) prop spacer/line cutter.
You will need the two piece spinner (cone nut) so that the aft most portion only can be used with the long hub prop.
Both portions together for a short hub prop.

."

"For me the big question would

"For me the big question would be:
What is your maximum RPM at Wide Open Throttle with the current prop.

Generally, there are only two correct props for a particular engine/boat setup.
1) The one that let your engine run within the specified RPM range at Wide Open Throttle under normal load conditions... i.e. full tank of fuel and the usual number of folks you have on it.

2) A second prop that you MIGHT use from time to time to have your engine get to correct RPMS at WOT if you are running a heavy load, i.e. towing folks on "water toys" while having a number of folks onboard. Not a prop to use for normal day to day operation... unless of course your "normal" use is pulling folks around with boat full of people.

Still, both props are selected to meet the same criteria, i.e., that prop that allows the engine to run within the normal RPM range @ WOT "under normal load".

If you need a new prop because your current one is damaged beyond repair, but the current prop met criteria #1, just get another one of what you have."

"the prop I have on it now is

"the prop I have on it now is 13" in dia. dont know the pitch, it looks like the original one though that came with the boat. I took the boat out for the first time last summer it ran around 6000rpm at wot-full tank of gas 2 people on the boat. I think its to small myself 6000 is a little high? 5200 to 5500 max? I think would be better on the boat? This is my delima I cant find anything or numbers on my prop that I have now.anybody have a reference place or site they know of that I can go to for help? thanks for all of your help this very new to me"

"Dan, I'd take your existi

"Dan, I'd take your existing prop in to a Prop Shop and ask them to tell you which pitch it is. Then purchase a prop of a higher pitch (possibly larger diameter also) as per their recommendation given your now WOT RPM.
Your spec WOT RPM will be closer to 4,400/4,600 I believe (check your OEM manual).

WOT RPM is a test RPM only to determine if your drive ratio and propeller are correct for your boat.
It is not an intended operating RPM!

."

re: "It is not an intended

re: "It is not an intended operating RPM!"

At least not for very long before looking for a new engine or a rebuild :)

"I want to thank you all for y

"I want to thank you all for your help I am going to take my boat to the shop to have them look at the prop I have now so I can have it evaluated,
for the size and pitch. thanks again Robert and Recardo."

Back