Logo

Exhaust Leak

bushwood

Contributing Member
"Ran my 440s hard the other da

"Ran my 440s hard the other day, and when I came into the dock, heard a tick-tick sound and I could smell exhaust. Assumed it was an exhaust leak. Today I pulled the FWC manifold where I heard the sound and installed a new gasket (old one looked pretty good). Torqued down evenly, warmed up the engine and same result.

Retorqued and fired up again to have same tick sound and exhaust smell. Where to next? I did not have this condition prior running hard.

Thanks"

"G/day, had the same problem a

"G/day, had the same problem after changing exhaust manifolds on my 318, turned out my intake manifold had a burnt hole in it from the wrong inlet gaskets being fitted, the inlet side also has an exhaust port that gets partly blocked off by gaskets, it started ticking untill it blew a hole in the inlet manifold. I know this is a 318 so I am not sure if this relates to a 440 engine. Hope this might help Ossie"

"G/day again, check out postin

"G/day again, check out posting on this site under, Oil leak from intake manifold. May 27/ 2009,this will help explain about my last post. Ossie"

Lots of people have left those

Lots of people have left those little metal plates out when installing intake gaskets on 318s/ 360s. The result is always the same.

Jeff

"Since Im going to do the inta

"Since Im going to do the intake,what are you guys talking about.

When my motor was warm I could see a little smoke coming from the this hole in the intake.
376095.jpg
"

"I blew a head gasket on my 44

"I blew a head gasket on my 440 and I had very similar symptoms. Including the funny smell. EZ to diagnose by a compression test. I'd love to take a hard run with my M440, but in New York right now, the water is actually hard. And covered in snow."

"I only have pictures of 318/

"I only have pictures of 318/ 360 intake gaskets, but I believe they are the same on 440s.

Jeff

376108.jpg
"

"If you have a carb with elect

"If you have a carb with electric choke check the manifold under the choke where the older thermostatic kind sat, this can fill with water and rust thru and cause an exhaust leak. I had the same problem on my 318."

"No electric choke. This week

"No electric choke. This week we may be checking compression. I hope that is still good. Back in October, all 8 were good, so I'm hoping the short time we were dialing in the timing away from the dock, did not blow a head gasket.

I've compiled this posts suggestions as well as the past post recommended by Chris Osborne. Many of the posts describe what is happening with mine and hope it is a simple as an intake gasket. I will certainly keep updated on this."

"Thanks to all on the input. M

"Thanks to all on the input. My mechanic confirmed today that the gasket for the intake manifold was the culprit. I will change it out.

I don't think my intake gasket looks like the posted pics. My intake gasket is one aluminum/tin piece. However, I can claim a small victory.

Thanks!"

"I changed out my intake gaske

"I changed out my intake gasket and it was indeed the culprit. I could see trace of black exhaust soot where the exhaust port is that goes directly to the intake manifold. I'm not sure why it failed, but I did notice there was no sealer around the ports as directed to do so by directions.

Thanks again for the input!"

Back