Logo

Alternator question

houseboater58

"I have a 1977 Uniflite 34 wit

"I have a 1977 Uniflite 34 with two M440's. The port alternator died and I replaced it with a Sierra single wire model, it works great, but the alternator light is still on? What do I do with the other two wires that went to the old alternator? Should I install an ammeter gauge? An ammeter gauge has one wire to alternator output and one to positive battery terminal, the one wire alternator is wired to the positive terminal, will this still work? Thanks."

The "idiot light" will

The "idiot light" will not work with a one wire. I suggest you rig up either an ammeter (best) or a voltmeter to monitor the thing.

Jeff

"A digital voltmeter is what y

"A digital voltmeter is what you want, an amp meter is not a good idea as all the power from the alternator has to go thru the guage. Check the voltage before you start and it should be 12.2-12.8 and after start 13.5-15 volts.
Most one wire alternators don't come on line until you rev the engine up to about 1500 rpm and then you can pull it back to idle.

Dan"

Nearly all ammeters work with

Nearly all ammeters work with a shunt--the full flow of amps does not go through the meter head.

Jeff

"Most one wire alternators

"Most one wire alternators don't come on line until you rev the engine up to about 1500 rpm and then you can pull it back to idle."

I noticed that the other day on my voltmeter

Me too; everytime I run a no w

Me too; everytime I run a no wake zone the batteries actually discharge until I can 'boot it' one to get the alternators going again. One of their few disadvantages.

Jeff

"So, the Chrysler design with

"So, the Chrysler design with the external reg. don't work that way....?"

"No they don't, the altern

"No they don't, the alternators with the internal or external regulators that were originally installed will work at idle. I don't know why we even get talked in to these one wire units, my 34 Tolly had 2 of them and they are a pain in the ass if you have to idle much, we can sit for up to 2 hours here in Seattle waiting for the locks and with these 1 wire units you have to run the generator. If you don't need more power just get the original fixed.

Dan"

That does sound like a problem

That does sound like a problem....I idle a lot too. Another example of things were does a certain way for a reason.

I have an Arco one wire now but bought an old Chrysler unit and wanted to have it rebuilt and 'upgraded' to a one wire setup which I think has been suggested on here.

Can I have it rebuilt with an internal reg. but still have it charge as original and would you know how to wire it....?

Jack

Back