Logo

Year Of my Mercury

vane

Regular Contributor
"I just bought a 1981 Pontoon

"I just bought a 1981 Pontoon with a mercury 90 HP oil Injection,The guy I bought it from didn't know the year,can anyone help me find what year this motor is.The only Numbers I could find is the serial # 0D037490 ,I have a Question that probably be answered with out the year,can I just mix oil in the gas tank and leave the oil tank empty,or will that mess something up in the motor ,Thanks in advance for the info."

"To start with you have a 1991

"To start with you have a 1991 model.

To your second question, no you can't simply ignore the oil system and run mixed gas. This is a gear driven system and if it's not in use it must either be removed or modified.

You can either completely remove the whole shebang and cover the hole left in the block with a plate, or, remove the gear/stem and put the pump back or you could simply bypass it by running the oil tube in a loop (from input to output on the oil pump and filling it with oil - that will allow the pump to keep running while effectively doing nothing which would allow the system to be easily reconnected).

In either case you have to disconnect the oil level sensor and you can either leave or remove the (onboard) oil tank.

My question to you would be "why do you want to get rid of the oil inject?"

Is it working?

The oil system on this model is good. Don't believe all the bogus horror stories you hear.

99.99% of blown powerheads are due to lack of maintenance and I have never even seen one caused by a failed oil system.

Everyone knows "some guy" whose motor chewed a piston. He says "my oiler went" and everybody nods as if he just recited the gospel....

Bull, if the oiler went ALL the cylinders would be toast, because NONE would have got oil - he likely had a clogged carb or injector from running old/untreated/dirty gas or failed to prep for storage year after year and it caught up to him.

However, if you sleep better at night bypassing the oil system, then go for it.

A disconnected oil system does have one disadvantage - if the motor goes you have to take responsiblilty yourself since you don't have a little pump to blame

(My 1986 OMC's VRO2 oil injection system is alive and well. And should it ever fail I will replace it. Oil inject saves you oil and allows the motor to run "as designed" since there is no way you can mix your own gas/oil at a variable rate)"

Back