Logo

Exhaust manifolds and risers

paul_rodgers

Regular Contributor
"Good Morning, I need informat

"Good Morning, I need information on testing the exhaust manifolds and risers on a 454 MPI engine.
I had got sand in them and engine overheated, long story short just want to check or replace if necessary. Thanks"

"Auh Chief not really a proble

"Auh Chief not really a problem, just working on my boat before season gets here, Engine and outdrive are off, going thru a complete rebuild,
Flappers gone and injested water and locked up engine. I am handy so I have started this project and was just needing a test procedure for testing exhaust system. I don't want to do this again for another ten years."

"The way to test for water lea

"The way to test for water leaks is,

attach a hose with a guage and shut off valve to manifold water line fitting, You may have to remove the fitting and reduce it to a smaller fitting,

Cap the top where the elbow attaches with a solid plate and gasket.

Attach air line and allow air pressure to biuld up, say 60 - 90 psi and shut valve off. Make sure the guage is on the manifold side of shut off valve.

Watch guage and if it leaks down you have a leak!!

If it doeas leak down slowly check with soapy water all fittings and gasketed surface for minor air leaks before assuming the manifold it leaking.

Repeat same proceedure for elbow.

Does this sound like you can do it?

As far as function goes that is a visable call only you or someone who can see them in person can make."

"Not a problem, sounds like a

"Not a problem, sounds like a piece of cake, just wasn't sure about the plate, but now I can do it, thanks.."

"pull them is the only way to

"pull them is the only way to get all the sand out

you can try and flush all day, but the sand will still be in there"

Back