Logo

No fire on #3 cyl 1985 70hp Evinrude

keysjunk

"I'm having a problem dete

"I'm having a problem detecting a problem with #3 cyl not getting spark to it. I've replaced the power pack, clinder coils and timer base. checked the stator and it has it seems the correct omhs reading of approx. 625omhs. Any one have an idea what the problem is."

"use ur peak rding meter and c

"use ur peak rding meter and ck voltages,from stator,timer base to pack,then ck and compare voltages to coil..if all same ,replace def coil,or...swap and see if problem follows prev non firing coil,to diff cyl."

"Thanks for your response. I c

"Thanks for your response. I can not seem to find any problems with the voltage readings. I had two cylinders firing at one time. changed the coil wires between a good firing one to the dead one. The dead one now fires. The once good one now does not fire. So it looks like the coils are OK. I changed the stator now because I found a crack and one area has gotten hot and melted some of the insulation out and dripped down on the block. After the different stator, I only have #1 cylinder that fires. If I move the timer plate to advance I get fire also on #3. I now seem to be getting shocked off of the engine block. I have checked for grounding of the stator and grounding of the timer plate. Neither shows a ground to the block."

"the timer base,is highly susp

"the timer base,is highly suspect,..where the wires crimp and go into timer base...r u using 'used'parts...u may be just transfering the prob....also,..an 'ohm's'test does not always show the offendiing part."

"Some of the parts are new and

"Some of the parts are new and some are used. However, no matter what I have replaced for testing, I still have the same exact problem. I would think you would see some change. The only thing that remains the same is the flywheel. I remember that some OMC outboards had the timing collar that slipped. I believe it was around that year or earlier. I need to find out where the ring position should be."

"Again, thanks for your input.

"Again, thanks for your input. I have removed the flywheel to look at the timing ring. This flywheel has an epoxyed ring. I have looked for the part # that is under the flywheel and it is 582898. My finding for this moter it should be #582899. The ring is in bad visual condition. I have attempted to locate the 898 flywheel for it's application, but have not had any luck. I have a new timing base on the motor. In the starting position, I only get only one cyl. firing. advance the timer base and I pickup another cyl. Now what?"

"hummm,..ok....welp...sure tho

"hummm,..ok....welp...sure thought it was cast on that eng & yr model,...u have some bad wires,where they lv the timer base,..as it rotates,..they open,...or short out..."

"Checking spark requires that

"Checking spark requires that all of the spark plugs are removed. The engine must crank over at least 300 rpm in order for the stator to energize the powerpack. A slow cranking engine will have erratic or no spark even if all else is in perfect condition.

If that flywheel has the epoxied type center timing sensor assembly, and if it has melted down, the flywheel will require replacing.

Checking a coil..... simply switch the orange wires between a firing coil and the non firing coil. If the original non firing coil now fires, then obviously the coil is okay.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back