Logo

800 outdrive shift cable replacement

Gentlemen you helped my concer

Gentlemen you helped my concern with the 3.8 camshaft after the Seloc book fiasco and I downloaded the engine manual - but the shift cable replacement pictures showing cable arrangement is just an amorphous black blob!

Two 800 I/O's 1981 /mechanical shift.

Just having spent my entire pension on two new cables I really want to fit them as OMC prescribes. Unfortunately I had to saw off the old ones.

I removed the idler pulley from the cable housing with a little heat; the drive pulley shouldn't need removal - the cables go around it to attach the cable pucks. I hope. Just lost a some confidence turning the cable around the idler.

Possibly the Seloc photos were printed before electricity was invented . . .

"Thankyou, pity there are no h

"Thankyou, pity there are no helpful pics in the installation of cable and shift housing but I'll have a look tomorrow."

"ok i'll see what my manua

"ok i'll see what my manual shows for pics, latter today.

But me i use online, free manuals for refrence, never hurts to buy the original manual, guy on ebay has them.

Me i work out of a #3400 upper right hand corner seloc."

"Chief sir,
Don't worry a

"Chief sir,
Don't worry about the shift cable installation. The Seloc books explanation is actually quite good, just the pics are very poorly printed but as you become more accustomed to the subject it becomes easier to recognise the layout.

What is very disappointing is the explanation of dismantling the swivel bearing housing - under which is the water pump impellor

Because of raw salt water corrosion this is very difficult, there is no guide whether a puller was required to remove the bevel gear.
But the impellor is something to visit fairly regularly!"

"there is no puller you can us

"there is no puller you can use that i know of.

You drop the lower, and i raise up the drive and pull the four bolts the trick is to spin the pump housing to break the seal.

The whole shebang comes out in one piece, the bearing housing water pump and shafts and gear all one piece."

Back