Logo

KAD42A Help

volvohelp

"Hi guys,

New to the forum,

"Hi guys,

New to the forum, from the west coast of Canada, looking at buying a boat with a Volvo KAD42A in it. Had my mechanic to the boat the other day and he said it had a "knock" and advised me not to buy the boat. Wonder how much it would cost to rebuild this engine as the gentleman selling the boat may be open to a major price drop.

I appreciate any advice as I know very little about these engines.

Look forward to hearing from you all

Max"

"Max
A loaded question indee

"Max
A loaded question indeed.
I just quoted a minor rebuild on a similar engine{rings-bearings-head overhaul) and it came in at $15,000.00 If the engine in question requires pistion - sleeve assy. add aprox. $600.00 per cyl.
A "knock" may not mean that it requires a rebuild though, The 42 series are well known for bullet proof lower ends.
If you like the boat ,it would be good money spent to get your mechanic to spend more time on trouble shooting.
sea trial , cyl. balance , compression test ,
A "knock" could be anything from a bad injector to wiped out crankshaft.
Best luck
BJ"

"Right on, appreciate the info

"Right on, appreciate the info.

We still want to buy the boat, we're thinking if we can get 20,000 off, we will do it.

I've spoken with a couple other people about the newer volvo d4 260 and wonder if anyone knows what one would cost. I cant seem to find price info anywhere. Is if possible to use the leg of a 42 on the new d4? If not whats the leg go for and what kind of installation cost am I looking at.

Must go fishing..."

Back