Logo

84 omc trim problems

"i have a 84 omc with the trim

"i have a 84 omc with the trim not working, the tilt works just fine, but when i push the buttons for the trim it just clicks and that is all it does. any ideas?"

"what type of trim? hydraulic

"what type of trim? hydraulic engine mount type, or jackscrew/worm gear type? there were different types in 84"

"There's a grease fitting

"There's a grease fitting on the worm screw hsg- probably never been greased and may have sat under bilge water.
Be careful not to lose the nylon washer and thrust washer as you remove the motor. Once the motor is out, you can reach in with a large screwdriver to see if the worm screw is seized.
Probably worth disassembly of the motor to clean the brushes and commutator bars on the armature. Or take to motor shop to have them do it. Motor might be fill of bilge sludge or rust.
Can also clean the relay terminals, ring terminals on the wires with a file and polish up your 50A barrel fuses with some steel wool and reassemble with some dielectric grease. "

"ok i have a real dumb questio

"ok i have a real dumb question and i hate to ask it cause i should know better, but how do you bench test the motor?"

Back