Logo

2009 Volvo 30 MPI

incubus

"Looking for as much info as p

"Looking for as much info as possible on this motor for my next boat...Volvo discontinued it after one year and is phasing out the 3.0. It is still available on 09's though. If anyone has it I would appreciate their review. Also, why Volvo discontinued it. Is this because of the 2010 EPA regs or cost issues @ Volvo...Thanks for all info..."

"Allan,a 3.0 mpi was produced

"Allan,a 3.0 mpi was produced briefly by Volvo and by Mercruiser. And yes, they both have no plans to reintroduce them at this time due to problems conforming them to the new 2010 EPA standards.In fact,I just finished working the Baltimore Boat show last week and had factory reps in my booth from both manufacturers and there will also be no more carbed engines,in any size,any more.I can still get 3.0 EFI from both manufacturers,but only as a repower package and even thats only until the existing supply is gone."

"Thanks Cobe...Was the Merc ve

"Thanks Cobe...Was the Merc version with higher hp like the Volvo ?...I just don't understand why a 4 cyl engine is no longer going to be an option ; especially with fuel costs...I know a lot of people with the 4.3 would disagree, but the 3.0 is a good powerplant alternative for certain applications in the 16-19ft range..."

"allen, yes the merc was rated

"allen, yes the merc was rated higher than the carbed model but same as volvo's. i asked your same question to both factory reps and got a head shake and shoulder shrug...bottom line, i guess they dont think they can get them to meet the EPA ratings. So not only will we be looking at a higher boat cost due to (1) smallest engine will be a 4.3 = more $$$ (2) it will only be available in MPI = more $$$$ (3) it will also be FWC as standard = more $$$ (4) they will have catalytic converters on them = more $$$......but a far higher maintenance cost when these Cats need to be replaced. I took the time to look at the one on the 3.0mpi/ec that merc has...catalyst part #879288t18 = $810.00"

Back