Logo

Experience

"Basically a fine engine - the

"Basically a fine engine - the best of the big four-strokes in my opinion, but I would be extremely cautious about buying any engine, especially a big complex engine like this one, from an online seller. You want to know the hours on the engine and the maintenance history. I suspect IF this is REALLY a government engine, it is from the Coast Guard, and likely has many, many hours. However, it is also likely to have been maintained well. If you proceed with the purchase, then you should have a certified and experienced Honda outboard technician available to go over the engine and run all the HDS diagnostics. BTW - don't have my manual with me, but I think the XX model has the 30" shaft, which may limit the kind of boat you can use it on."

"I don't know anything abo

"I don't know anything about that site or whether it is legit or not. They do not give pertinent information on the engine - HP, hours, original owner, etc. So that would concern me alot.

The Merc 4-strokes have not had the good reputatation as their Japanese counterparts. If my memory is correct, the early Merc 4-strokes were a Suzuki engine mated to a Merc lower unit."

Back