Logo

OMC Model and Serial Numbers

bayliner86

I need help looking up these m

I need help looking up these model and serial numbers. What do they mean?

Model No. 985286
Serial No. T0103236
(not sure if those are zeros or o's in the serial)

This is on a 1986 Bayliner Capri.
What engine is it?

"I may be wrong here, but if m

"I may be wrong here, but if memory serves me, this would have been a Stringer Drive.... the first Cobras hitting the market in '87!
Typically..... 1986 Bayliners were Volvo Penta!

Have you already purchased this boat?

."

"I read that cobras started hi

"I read that cobras started hitting the market in 1986 while phasing out stringers. Now reading on another thread I found this written by Bob Hill, "Greg...is your drive a Cobra or a Stringer? 1985 was the last year for Stringers and 1986 was the first year for Cobra's (Picture above is a Cobra). Does your drive have a big rubber seal around it or does it have 2 hydraulic cylinders (one on each side) to trim/tilt with?"

The person answered "the more I think mine is a stringer. It would be nice if I knew what I had..eh. It does have the big rubber seal - bellows I'm assuming - and there are no hydraulic cylinders."

This motor has 2 hydraulic cylinders."

"Actually, Chris.... it would

"Actually, Chris.... it would be the "stern-drive" that would have two hydraulic cylinders..... and if so, it would not be a Stringer Drive..... it would be a first gen "Cobra" drive.
Again, Bayliners typically had Volvo Penta in 1986. So this is an oddity of sorts!
Cobras are known to be somewhat problematic.

I'll ask again.... Have you already purchased this boat?

."

"1985 was the last year for th

"1985 was the last year for the stringer drives,identifiable by the huge rubber boot around the transom plate.The cobra drives were introduced in 1986.HOWEVER....ALOT of "1986" vintage boats can still have the stringer drives installed depending on the boats exact build date--I personally owned a 1986 Caravelle years ago that still hade the stringer drive."

"yes, I have already purchased

"yes, I have already purchased it.

Everything has been rebuilt and the motor runs fine. The boat was left in the water causing the outdrive to seize up. I am planning on replacing the outdrive. Everything seems to be good on the motor minus the outdrive (for now).

This leads to the question : I found a OMC outdrive model # 983486 would that be compatiable to replace a model no. 985286?

Thanks for the help. This is my first boat and I'm excited about having such a great engine (sarcastic)
"

"Chris, the Volvo Penta SX or

"Chris, the Volvo Penta SX or DP S drive (cone clutch gear engagement, btw) is also a replacement drive (with a kit) for the Cobra drive. This eliminates the problematic ESA system, sensitive shift cable adjustment and any potential Dog Clutch issues of the Cobra.

Gear ratio must be compatible with the engine.

Food for thought!

."

985286 isn't a good model

985286 isn't a good model # but 985268 is (maybe the last 2 digits swapped?) Anyway the 9852xx's are from 1988.
If it is the 985268 then it's for a 1988 3.0 ltr
I suspect the drive has already been replaced once or else a dealer had that Capri sitting around new for a couple of years.
Try to get the Model # off the engine itself could be something like 302APRGDE ???

983486 is pre Cobra (1st Cobra's were 98384x)Does it look like a Cobra or is it the bottom end off a Stringer...got any pics?
Sorry..not helping you much here

Back