Logo

OMC Stringer conversion too Alpha 1

yooper68

"HI,

I just got a super de

"HI,

I just got a super deal on a 29 ft lakescraft pontoon, now the bad news. It has a stringer outdrive that is bad, I would like to change everything over to Alpha 1. Did anybody do this already? Or does anybody have some helpful tips?

Thanks in Advance"

"you will have to close the dr

"you will have to close the drive hole and then recut a new hole, that is if you want to keep the old motor.

Then you will have to get everything new from the flywheel back.

Best way is to have a donor boat with a bad hull that has the drive you want."

"Bill,as chiefalen points out,

"Bill,as chiefalen points out, theres no "easy" way of doing this. No one makes a transom adapter plate that will close down that big hole you'll have left when you pull the stringer set up.You will need to do some wood core and glass work to fill it in,then cut out the new hole for the merc style plate.Since this area will bear alot of weight,unless you are an accomplished glass-man,leave it to a pro.I've seen some DIY jobs that have gone ugly after only a few trips out.Good luck."

"Yes..... agreed! This would b

"Yes..... agreed! This would be a good thing to do if the boat is worth salvaging!
This is no doubt an older boat since it had the OMC Stringer drive. Have you considered an AQ series Volvo Penta drive? Probably less expensive and it is a better drive, IMO!

Keep in mind that a "Stringer" drive did not require a structural transom.
Many of these were one layer only of plywood core material.
This is not necessarily a deal breaker, so long as you realize that a greater "build-up" of core material is necessary for a transom mounted stern drive..... (two layers vs only one).

I'd say that a project like this is very doable!

."

"Thanks for the info, the boa

"Thanks for the info, the boat is a 29 ft beachcomber pontoon. The transit is alu, so it looks like a welding project. I just got the motor out and the oil pan has holes rusted in it. HAHA.

I planned on using mercruiser outdrive, not sure if I put in a 4.3 V6 or a 3.0 4cly.
I work at a marine and have plenty of parts laying around that I can use. When I get the hole closed is the a certain height I need to watch out for when I make the new holes? Or do you thing the motor mounts will be adjustable if there off some?"

Yes.... The "X" dimens

Yes.... The "X" dimension will be important!
Mercruiser will offer this in one of the factory installation manuals.

"The motor runs? You really ne

"The motor runs? You really need more power with that pontoon? More power more weight? Will the back of the boat handle the weight? Whats recommended for that, boat power wise."

Back