Logo

First Mate Long Block

sammi

Regular Contributor
I'm doing some research on

I'm doing some research on long blocks and people seem very happy with the quality of First Mate. I'm looking to replace my 318 225 HP Chrysler. First Mate says their engine is a 200 hp model. I have a 24 ft fiberglass Lyman that weighs about 4500 lbs and even a 225 hp sounds a little underpowered. Is 25 hp a big deal and why wouldn't they use the same specs to give it 225 as original?

"The torque of the 200 hp moto

"The torque of the 200 hp motor is about the same, and that's what provides the cruising power. Now, if you were running a go-fast boat, that would be different.

Jeff"

First Mate is a subsidary of M

First Mate is a subsidary of Marshall engines in Nebraska.Good solid company.They quoted me $2195.
I ordered a First Mate marine OH through Marine Power Service in NJ for $2145 including shipping.
Had it in the garage within two days.
Only issue was oil pan gasket was not included.
You have to be carefull with Ebay. No telling what you are going to get.
Joe

"I didn't see in that add

"I didn't see in that add where they put in NEW valves and valve springs. One could assume they did, but....

I got my Vesuvio rebuilt from Marine Power Services in NJ and I am still happy with it 3 years later. It came with a full set of gaskets, by the way.

Jeff"

Back