Logo

2005 mercury 25 hp 2 stroke problems

jcp

"hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and im a stundent at UF in gainesville, FL. this motor was stored for about 6 months after the impeller blew. I had the engine serviced and the motor worked fine untill anbout 2 miles away it bogged down on me and could barely run then quit. since then i have cleaned the carb, replaced gaskets on carb and fuel pump, cleaned fuel filter, replaced fuel line and fittings. the motor would start with some effort and... ran fine and then it bogged down on the way back. i then noticed a visible spark was sparking from the spark plug wire, out the boot and over the insulation on the plug to the "nut" part of the plug. I figured one of the cylinders wasnt firing so the engine was just running on the power of one cylinder. i thought this was a no brainer. i replaced the plugs, replaced the wires. in the yard with the engine trimmed down into a trashcan filled with water and tuned the lean/rich screw. i started from about 1 1/2 turns out from seated and (from what the guy at the boat dealer i got the parts from said)and turned the screw towards rich till it started to idle rougher and went back a 1/4 turn. went on the lake ran fine for about a 4 mile run. shut down and hunted. went to leave and it started and didnt want to idle and died. then after some work and throttling it started. throttled up and it bogged down. no if this happens, the only remedy has been to shift into neutral and rev the engine a few times then go to forward and this time it worked and i ran home just fine. sometimes this doesnt work and i dont want to hurt the engine. i checked the plugs after the ride home and both looked good (actually just about perfect just a light brown). I cant figure out what is wrong with this dang thing
angry.gif
. its weird cause it will be fine and then shut down then the next start it bogs down and dies or barely runs. I hope someone can help, thanks guys."

"When you say "cleaned the

"When you say "cleaned the carb", did you disassemble it or just run some cleaner through.

It sounds like (in order of most likely) 1) clogged low speed jet 2) clogged float jet 3) bad fuel pump diapharm.

The first two conditions could be expected from improper storage prep (which would have been the case if the impeller failed and the motor was not run and stablized prior to layup)...."

Re: "When you say "cleaned the

I have a 25 horse mercury 2005 2 stroke gas is coming out of top of carberator from under the plate that says top on it

Back