Logo

Mercury 2008 four strokes 50 HP Beeps Solved

tifandr

"This solution is related to p

"This solution is related to post
http://www.marineengine.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?12479/374378

Finally i went to the official service and guess what? they told me that the impeller was broken...No way i said, the outboard it's almost new, it has 95hs my experience with other outboards is really different i'd changed the impeller just in case and after at least 3 years of use (60 hs per year). The technician told me that he never saw something like this, please take a look at this photos http://picasaweb.google.com/TIfanDR/Impeller#
Please after seing them tell me what you think, pay attention to the "two marks", for me is impossible to believe that the impeller could get this kind of dammage without man's help, i cannot believe that this is what should i expect from mercury original parts, i cannot believe the technician but before sending the case to mercury i decided to get your opinions. Regards, ChawFan
375402.jpg
Broken Impeller

"looks like it was stuck on th

"looks like it was stuck on the housing and possibly dry started, so it tore. Had to be changed sooner or later"

"Looking at your photos the da

"Looking at your photos the damage looks like it was done with a screw driver and hammer, as i have seen this type of damage before"

"JB,
Sorry for being such

"JB,
Sorry for being such ignorant, also english is not my mother language (spanish) but i'm not sure i understood what you mean by dry started. If a dry start is whith the outboard outside the water i'm sure that it never happened. Have you seen the photos i sent at picasa website? Any other suggestion?"

"I see the marks from what cou

"I see the marks from what could be a screwdriver. How do you know that is the impeller that was in your engine. He could have gave you that special one just to get you out of the shop. You might not ever know the truth. What you do know is your engine warning device sounded. They fixed it, now you have paper work to back-up any problems that might come in the future.

I don't think mercury is going to care too much about a 2 year old expendable water pump that cost less than $20. I know it cost more than that to fix but sometimes you have to pay to keep your warranty in service. Never take it to the Stealership unless you can afford to have it fixed.

Dry start or not that impeller needs to be changed every 2 years to keep you and the Mrs. happy. cerveza, thats the best I got....."

"If the impellor had stuck qui

"If the impellor had stuck quite well inside the pump on dismantling,it would have come up the shaft with the pump,and possibly needed a screwdriver to get it out of the housing.as a mechanic,we often have to destroy parts to get them out of various holes,being careful not to damage the surrounds.if the motor in question now runs well with no more problems,i would say go boating,and forget suing anybody,too much mind space"

Back