Logo

2GM transmission problems

lockie

"The clutch started taking up

"The clutch started taking up only intermittently when I selected forward. I replaced the cable - no luck. Then I adjusted the throw so it pushed the transmission lever much further than the 35mm specified, which fixed it, but in neutral the transmission lever is way past the detent.

Then after I've been running in forward for a while, it's very difficult to shift back to neutral - I have to wiggle and really force the Morse lever. I've stripped and relubed the MV2, and it looks pretty good inside.

One thing I notice is that the cable end at the transmisison does not have the spring-loaded fitting shown in the manual.
I can replace the MV2 easily but the thought of a transmission rebuild scares my meagre wallet. Any help much appreciated!

Graeme"

"2GM is the early engine, it h

"2GM is the early engine, it had a KM2A gear box the later a 2GM20 had the KM2P gear box. I am not familur with the MV2 is it a V-Drive?
The early gear box had a spring loaded clevis at the shift lever the later gear box had a solid clevis.
Travel on your shift cable should be 1.5" from neutral. The early gear box had bronze shift cone wear. Due to no load on the shift lever. You have to remove the cone and lap it into the steel cup using valve laping compound. Medium Coarse will do. Get the cone angle so it gives off a satin finish. Assemble and it should shift well. Full Sails, regards Ron"

"Thanks Ronald. I'd like t

"Thanks Ronald. I'd like to fit the sprung clevis, so I can set it up with a little pressure on the clutch lever, without over-stressing either it or the cable. Trouble is these things cost an absurd amount in Australia. Do you know of a reasonably-priced supplier in the USA who ships internationally?

Graeme"

C'mon youse blokes!
Someo

C'mon youse blokes!
Someone must know a good supplier the US of A who is likely to stock the clevis and send it out to a poor old bloody Aussie!

Graeme

Back