Logo

1984 454 350 hp crusaders in 67 Egg Harbor

fast

"I'm on my 2nd year with t

"I'm on my 2nd year with this boat. I,m interested in learning to change the anti-freeze and the trans. oil. Am considering getting a shop manual. I would be curious to know how often you think these should be done.This is my first post and would appreciate your opinions. Ed"

The Crusader manual is excelle

The Crusader manual is excellent and you can get it by clicking at the top of this page.

I'm going into my second year and will do an every other year on coolant and every year on the trans fluid.

Bob

"An electric oil changing rig

"An electric oil changing rig works well on the trannies too. You can't get it al out, but what you can is enough to refresh the oil that remains.

Jeff"

"Ed:

The service manual is

"Ed:

The service manual is a great source of info and a wise investment.

The coolant needs to be changed when it is no longer alkaline, its freeze point is insufficient, or it has been contaminated. I've never gone any longer than five years without changing mine.

I've been pretty good about changing the gear oil every three years. It has worked well for a couple decades.

If you are interested, there are a few posts here where UOA (used oil analysis) has been used and discussed. you can search on that phrase or blackstone (a prominent player in the field)."

"I agree with the above. In a

"I agree with the above. In addition, I would suggest that there are hardware items that should be on the PM list as well. Salt water cooled double wall risers/elbows(4 years), single wall elbows (8 years), oil coolers (10 years), impellers (2 years), rw pump cams (4 years), distributor caps (2 years). Failures in these items have had grand consequences, and the manuals may not give good guidance on replacement intervals.

I'm still not sure about the eventual life of heat exchangers, coolant pumps, ignition wires, and mechanical fuel pumps, but I'm thinking on the order of 15 years for those. Those you might consider not as PM items, but replace on demand."

"All good ideas. I purchased a

"All good ideas. I purchased a book called Classic Motor yachts by Ron McClure at which features about 40 classics. If you appreciate machinery, you may want to check it out. Especially "Westward" ,86',built in 1924 in Washington state. She went around the world in the 80's and still has her original 4-cylinder Atlas diesel.Our crusaders won't last that long but I find the story inspiratinal Ed."

"Ed, if you are going to chang

"Ed, if you are going to change the tranny with same electric pump make sure you have totally cleaned the dipstick tube that inserts and don't hit toggle switch wrong way. Just a touch of engine oil in there very bad. I always tripple check that on my perko that pumps both ways in or out of the 5 gal bucket.

Any you guys re-use same pump? What is best to clean with? I cleaned just the tube with acitone last time, but what can I run thru the complete unit that works and doesn't damage pump and rubber hoses?"

"Scott, actually engine oil is

"Scott, actually engine oil is one of the acceptable fluids that can be used in the velvet drive units.

Probably not a good idea to mix the two so I know what you're saying.

I used a Pela vacuum pump myself. It won't set any speed records but it works and ONLY sucks fluid so I can go from the trans to engine and just worry about wiping the tube off.

Bob"

I did not know that.

I'

I did not know that.

I'm thinking about getting clean samples for analysis. Thinking to cut rubber hose and adding a small glass baby food jar (do we still use them in US) with tubes punched and sealed in metal lid.

That way I can get an clean sample. Does that sound right? Searching blackstone now...

"You can always use a good old

"You can always use a good old fashioned syringe, w/o the needle for collection samples. Only drawback is you have to get to the dipstick.

If you use the oil change system, you will want to ensure to purge any 'standing' oil in the hose(s) before taking your sample for submission."

"Thanks for the tip. I use a m

"Thanks for the tip. I use a manual (par,I think).So when I'm done with engine oil, I disassemble it and wipe it clean . From now on I'll try and use a cleaning solvent. Maybe check with the manufacture to see what they suggest. Ed."

Back