Logo

1978 454 merc with merc trans II and 330 outdrive

days_away

"Just bought a 78 Hawaiian with the 454 in it,It has issues which manual would be the best for this set up.Something with detail brake downs and good internal info not the tech manuals that say to get tool,J or stuff like thatin it i'm a good mechanic but my tools are not alphabetized.
Thank you.Sherman"

"I invited Sherman to post thi

"I invited Sherman to post this here, as I know nothing about this unit. If any of you do, please chime in and give him a hand.
Rick"

The engine is a 454 Mercruiser

The engine is a 454 Mercruiser serial #4889754 model #MCM 330.
The transmission is a Merc trans II serial #12624 model #MCM-D
The outdrive is a Mercruiser 330 serial #4895854 model #1-50R

"Sherman, this is basically an

"Sherman, this is basically an I/O connected to a forward placed engine via what some may call a "Jack Shaft". I believe that Holman Moody may have done something similar with the Volvo drives way back when.

What is it that you are trying to achieve or repair here?

."

"Engine wont turn over acts li

"Engine wont turn over acts like it is siezed up,But the prop would not spin either by hand in either forward nor reverse and it should free spin either way in nuetral and oneway or the other in gear right,I think.
The boat ran great four years ago when parked then thepo tried to start it and it was like this.I have not seen any thing like this transmission that is on it and the outdrive is huge compared to a alpha or brovo vp omc.
I am kind of thinking maybe something in the tranny is siezed up or stuck."

"[b]Quote: "I have not see

"Quote: "I have not seen any thing like this transmission that is on it and the outdrive is <u>huge</u> compared to a alpha or brovo vp omc"

OK, Now I have another thought since you mention how huge this is!
Like said, I know little about this drive, but it just occured to me that I recall the TRS style drive (HUGE, btw) may rely on a transmission at the engine to engage/disengage..... (if memory serves me)
IOW's, w/ the TRS, there is no Engage/Disengage at the drive itself!
The internal drive gears are continuously engaged, and FWD/Neutral/REV would be done at the engine mounted transmission.
Sherman, could this explain why you cannot aquire neutral?
Can you disconnect the Jack Shaft?
Can you find neutral on the transmission?

Guys..... does this old system use something similar to a TRS drive?

."

"I believe that is the case.

"I believe that is the case.

The out drive is nothing more than a "differental" "rear end" as in a auto. The outdrive does not have shifting capabilities.

It spins based on the transmission gear.

The drive shaft needs to be disconnected to see if outdrive spins,

if motor is siezed, that needs to be delt with.

As far as the tranny goes I cant answer or suggest what is up with it. Maybe it was left in gear and needs to be spun over to shift into neutral...."

"[b]"Guys..... does this o

""Guys..... does this old system use something similar to a TRS drive?"

Ayuh,... It sure sounds like the TR/ TRS drive system...

As with any other drive line that's siezed,...
Break it down into seperate components, to see which piece is Siezed..."

"The Merctrans II was usually

"The Merctrans II was usually used with the TR. A TR drive is a TRS upper but with a much larger lower unit (19" diameter prop)
A common issue with those transmissions is cooler line freeze up if not winterized correctly. Result is water in the transmission and eventual seizure. There is a place or two that still rebuilds the Merctrans.
Pic of the transmission and parts avail here:
http://www.kcmarinetr.com/merctrans.html"

"Hy Stat.... thank you. Yes, t

"Hy Stat.... thank you. Yes, that is similar to what I recall seeing with the TR/TRS drive.

Bondo, agreed!
It may be the engine that's siezed..... it may be the drive that's siezed.... it may be the transmission!
With what Hy Stat just mentioned, it could likely be the transmission.

My friend, Brad, knows of a man in Seattle who searches for these parts and apparently buys any that he can....... he has a business refurbishing and re-selling these parts.

."

"I saw one of these at lake ge

"I saw one of these at lake george. maybe 25-30 years ago.

Me i would start from the back and work my way forward. Remove everythng to the motor.

Then i would work my way back to the drive.

Maybe the motor won't be all that bad.

This is the big question, where you gonna get parts for the drive system, and do you even want to?"

"[b]"This is the big quest

""This is the big question, where you gonna get parts for the drive system, and do you even want to?"

Ayuh,... There's a huge,+ growing aftermarket market for these old drives, like Ricardo's Bud, Brad...
They were a pretty Bullet-Proof drive that was displaced by the Bravos,...
But,..
They've been seeing a resurgence of late...
Due to the Reliability of 'em, in High horsepower, or Large hull configurations.."

"Bondo, now that I understand

"Bondo, now that I understand that this may be a version of the TR or TRS drive, I'd have to agree!
This guy in Seattle (the one that Brad knows of) is apparently selling drives and parts on a regular basis.

Another thought... since this drive does not use lower unit shifting, it offers the potential to evolve into a twin counter rotating drive such as the Volvo Penta Duo Prop or M/C Bravo III.
Doubt that we'll see this!

Sherman, you still out there?

."

"OH yes I am still here Hy sta

"OH yes I am still here Hy stat Thank you
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
Bondo A+ Big Boat and BIG PONIES
biggrin.gif
now to nfind the right manuals.
I have already dropped my outdrive and I really doubt that it is engine related everything has been super clean,Parts,oils everything.
And as I said when mounted I could not get the prop to free spin no matter where the shifter acuater on the trans was moved to,Thus making me believe that it is in the transmission.Not in the engine"

"Well Sherman, if this unit is

"Well Sherman, if this unit is similar, I do not see a Borg Warner bolt pattern, so it would appear that you must remove the trans/flywheel-cover from the engine as a unit.

375164.jpg
"

"Understood regarding a TR or

"Understood regarding a TR or TRS.... but Sherman states that his drive system is a; 78 454 merc with merc trans II and 330

I don't have time to look right now, but is this drive system covered in this literature?

."

"[b]"Understood regarding

""Understood regarding a TR or TRS.... but Sherman states that his drive system is a; 78 454 merc with merc trans II and 330"

Ayuh,... I ain't Takin' the time to look,...
But,..
My guess is, the 330 outdrive is the TR/ TRS badged as the motor's Horsepower....
Much like the ole Pre-Alpha, Model 1s, badged as 120s, 140s, 260s, etc....

I downloaded,+ saved to hardrive the file, without opening it,...
I'm bettin', by Sherm's last post that it Might be the right manual,...
lol.gif
"

"[b]"My guess is, the 330

""My guess is, the 330 outdrive is the TR/ TRS badged as the motor's Horsepower...."

Ah...that would make sense.... gotta Bondo
happy.gif

Ya have to cut me some slack.... I'm a Volvo Penta guy!
proud.gif
"

That #5 manual just skifs the

That #5 manual just skifs the surface on the tranny part of it.I am calling the boys in WA at that repair and rebuild shop to see what manuals they use.I would hate to have to kidnap one of their techs just to debrief him. LOL

"Just spoke to Mr.Kirk casey f

"Just spoke to Mr.Kirk casey from KC Marine yeah his the man when it comes to the Merc trans II transmissions very helpful.Oh yeah they dont really make a good manual for these trannies.Oh well.Thanks guys And Expecially you 2850
wink.gif
"

Back