Logo

Mariner Year

softtail

"Hello Folks, Lookin for help

"Hello Folks, Lookin for help on my motor! I need to know the year of my motor.When I got it,it was already torn down, it needs a lower-unit(bearings/gears tied-up)!I don't see a Model number, but this is the serial# oc116871. I think its a early 80's, 25hp.Looking to buy a repair manual, as soon as I find out the year.Previous owner tried to get the gears out but couldn't get the unit apart I guess. I may need a complete lower unit. Please help me with the year and that will give me a starting point. Thanks, John."

It's actually late 80'

It's actually late 80's - 1989 to be exact.

A decent repair manual is Seloc's (for 1&2 cylinder 1965-91) widely available from many sources (including this site) in both download and printed form for about 35 bucks.

If you want a Service Manual (about 80 bucks at a Merc dealer) you want merc part number 90-826883R2.

Your particular motor is 100% compatable with any 25 horse built between 1986-94 and the lower unit from the 1995-2005 models will also bolt right up without modification.

"A big thank you Mr. Lamb. I n

"A big thank you Mr. Lamb. I never thought I would get a response from the King of this forum! Again, thanks for sharing your vast knowledge, people like you make us beginners feel there is a glimmer of hope in our projects."

"Hello all, I recently bought

"Hello all, I recently bought a semi rigid rubber duck with a 55 HP Mariner 3 cylinder 2 stroke outboard motor, I do not know the product and would like to know how reliable these motors are.What could the model of this motor be,I could not find a 55 HP motor on the Mariner website?I did find a sticker with the year 1991 printed on the motor, could this be the right model?
What sould I look/listen for to know if this motor is still in good condition, it sounds good, starts with the second pull and have no leaks at all."

"Since it has a 1991 on it you

"Since it has a 1991 on it you could have one of two significantly different motors.

At that time there were two 55 Mariners in production.

One was built by Yamaha, using Yami parts and was an exact duplicate of Yamaha's own model 55A that they discontinued in 1979 - they continued to produce it as a "Mariner" for Mercury.

The last 55 Yamaha/Mariners were sold as 1992 models (so built in 91).

For the 92 model year Mecury picked up production of the 55 Mariner. However, this was totally a Merc design built with Merc parts - so nothing like the Yami/Mariner at all.

Likewise, the 92 model year 55 Merc/Mariners were built in 1991.

If it's the Yami version you should see a "product of Japan" somewhere on a sticker under or near the hood (if the sticker survived).

Additionally, a Yami serial would look something like 663-59xxxx etc

If it's a Merc/Mariner you can look for a sticker on the leg. If you are standing behind the motor (looking at the prop) it should be on the right side, on the leg, near the lower engine cowl right at the point where the leg meets the bracket (that holds the motor on the boat).

A Merc serial would look like 0D081xxxx etc (the first zero is sometimes omittied).

If you have the Yami model, while it was a decently built motor, it is somewhat of an orphan. Since Yami stopped building it in their own colours 31 years ago it has (old) technology and parts are getting scarce.

If you have a Merc model it is a "modern" motor that shared parts with the 3 cylinder 40, 50 and 60 horse Mercs - the 50 horse still being in production today..."

Back