Logo

Lower unit gear oil

larryb

hello: I've got a 1991 vol

hello: I've got a 1991 volvo penta DP. I need to know what type and viscosity of oil to use in the out drive. I've always used 70/90 lube in ohter boats. I was told that volvo uses 10 W 40 in most of the the out drives. thanks

"The Volvo Penta drive oil sha

"The Volvo Penta drive oil shares capacity with both transmission and lower unit.... there is actually a transfer of cooler lower unit oil to the transmission via a pump affair.
SP uses a slinger pump.... hence the lower viscosity oil.
The DP does not have the same type of pumping action.

The oil for the DP is NOT same as for SP drives.
See your OEM manual. If you do not have one, it would behoove you to get one! (not Seloc... not Clymers.... OEM)
The Duo Prop will require GL-5 gear oil.

Give a minimum of 6-8 minutes for an accurate dip stick reading.
Be sure to replace the two O-rings and the red phenolic fill plug gasket with new."

"Hello: Thanks for the informa

"Hello: Thanks for the information. You are right about the shop manuals. I do not have an OEM manual and I do have a Clymer shop manual it is not specific enough. SO if any one has a OEM shop manual would you look to see what oil is recommended for a volvo out drive, the name tag says it is a model DP-A, I think the part number is 854020 and the serial number is 3102102354X thanks for the information."

Hi: After reviewing my last po

Hi: After reviewing my last post I see that I may not have been specific enough with the information request for the proper oil. Is there a recommended weight class for my unit I.E. 80-90 or 70-140. My boat useage is in fresh water (lake Ontario). thanks

"Again, see your OEM manual...

"Again, see your OEM manual.... you can't go wrong with the OEM manual for this type of information.

GL 5 (GL = Gear Lube) will be either 70-85 or 75-85 or somewhere in that range. (seems that I've seen a 80-90 also)

Let your ambient water temperature partially dictate which vicosity.
Florida.... run the heavier.
Alaska......run the 70-85 ????

Just do not run the same oil that you would for the Single Prop drive."

"Larryb, a good rule of thumb

"Larryb, a good rule of thumb for your engine and drive combination (which I believe it is a 430/431A or 430/431B, or even an AQ205) is "same oil as engine" for the SP, or API GL-5 (SAE90 or 80W90) for the DP. This is most likely what your manual recommends, but check it just in case.

And in case of doubt, remeber that a GL-5 will not damage an SP drive but an engine oil may damage a DP."

Hi; Thanks for the information

Hi; Thanks for the information. The boat has a 431 engine. Will the OEM shop manual contain all the information that would be found in the owners manual?

"El, the only thing that I cou

"El, the only thing that I could say (if I may) regarding the GL 5 in a Single Prop drive, may be the limitations of the slinger pump!
I'm under the impression that it may not be as effective at pumping the heavier gear oil.
Larry, just so you know, the oil in this drive is constantly being exchanged between the cooler lower unit, and the potentially warmer transmission.
The AQ series DP does not use the typical slinger pump..... although an exchange still occurs. "

"Ricardo, I hear you. This deb

"Ricardo, I hear you. This debate has been going on forever on many threads in the past, and I am convinced it will continue in the future. Basically, I would recommend to follow the VP instructions as a general rule. However, there are instances where following the manufacturer's instructions may not be the best answer. I will give you an example. I have been using engine oil on my 280 until last year, then I switched to GL-5 synthetic. Why? Well, let's say that I did not like the aspect of what I drained from the outdrive (I would hardly described that as "oil"). IMO, the engine oil when used as gear oil will work well to certain levels of torque/power. Since I have a 350 attached to the 280, I am using now GL-5. The only adverse effects I have noticed so far is a slight delay in the clutch engagement in cold weather, but I can live with that.

Besides, you will be amazed at how many VP AQ drives with single prop do use the gear oil in the area where I live. Mind you, I'm convinced many of them got their oil chage done by a Mercruiser mechanic.
wink.gif
"

"Oh yes.... I've seen the

"Oh yes.... I've seen the M/C oil in many of these.
I don't have an issue as long as the slinger pump forces it up to the trans. As a matter of fact, I'd prefer to see it used if it does not pose a slinger issue.

You no doubt have repaired the little spring pins before that drive the slinger impeller! What's shearing those pins off?"

"Actually, I haven't dealt

"Actually, I haven't dealt with sheared locating pins before, and I didn't know they were a problem. Is that something that happens all around the world, or just in some areas? If those pins fail, it can only be because there is too much shear stress applied to them. In my mind, and provided the pins are not faulty, one possible cause could be fast acceleration of the propeller shaft during cold weather when the oil is too thick and/or ice has been formed inside the lower unit due to water ingress. Any other ideas?"

"Well, I've repaired a han

"Well, I've repaired a hand full of them, and those broken pins can be a bear to get out of the driven gear.
The slinger is aluminum, not heavy at all..... so I doubt that quick torque is doing this.
Ice... now that's a thought.... but I have never seen any signs of water in the drives where this has happened.
I've always thought is was too heavy an oil causing it....... or maybe a metalic chip getting caught....., but I've seen no damage!
I've only caught these broken pins during a seal replacement.
Wonder how many have gone un-detected."

"I have a brand new, never use

"I have a brand new, never used volvo DPX 1:59 gears. It comes with oil already in the lower unit. After I run it for about 10 hours, and change the lower unit oil , what oil should I put in it? Next question Do you have any idea what pitch volvo E2, E3, E4, are? It seems to be top secret. Rich"

"From the Volvo Penta Dealer o

"From the Volvo Penta Dealer only (we are one)web site:
280DP,290DP,DP-A,DP-A1 = 80w90
DP-G = 75w140 (GL5) SYNTHETIC
ALL OTHER DP DRIVES = 75w90 SYNTHETIC

SX = 75w90 SYNTHETIC
ALL OTHER SINGLE PROP DRIVES = Gasoline motor oil"

"Richard, Best to start a new

"Richard, Best to start a new thread on the topic.
See your OEM manual for this gear oil information. Not Seloc, not Clymers.... OEM.

While Volvo Penta has a code for prop pitch (A, B, C, D, E, F series, etc. w/ a # designation), it is not necessarily intended to be a secret!
The two props each have a different pitch and a different diameter (unlike the M/C BIII's), so the information may confuse the user if it were given in a pitch reference, rather than a code reference.
Hope that makes sense!

The only method to determine if the props are correct, is to perform a WOT RPM test just as you would for a single prop drive.
See your OEM specs for this WOT RPM information. Follow it to the "T".
Engine must be in Full Tune, hull clean, drive clean, props in near perfect tune. "

"Richard...the Volvo DP prop s

"Richard...the Volvo DP prop sets go by those letter/number designations and as you've noted the actual pitch #s are hard to come by. We've been a Volvo dealer since BEFORE they even came out with the DPs and I've never seen anything by Volvo with that info. If you're so inclined,you could take them to a prop shop and have them checked with a pitch plate."

Back