Logo

Need some advice

eriklynden

"Hi Guys I'm new, Anyways

"Hi Guys I'm new, Anyways I would love to hear some advice about what the best 2 stroke oil mix is and bottom end fluid for a 1972 Johnson 40hp E ..... I'm not sure if its got a electric shift? i know the 50hp's do and thus requiring diff bottom end oil not 100% on that tho anyways what do u guys use ???????? also I put some junk bottom end fluid in it just as a last resort to go tubing one last time last Fall.,, and I read that to flush it out I should use ATF dexron III ?????? then replacing it with the synthetic type XJ from Johnson I think???????????? anyways Let me know any advice is Greatly appreciated Love learning new stuff about my Favorite outboard brand!!!!!!"

"The fuel mix is 50:1 using a

"The fuel mix is 50:1 using a TCW3 2 stroke outboard engine oil. Use a synthetic perhaps in an environmentally sensitive area or if the engine is inclined to smoke excessively

It is a mechanical shift, therefore any high viscosity outboard gear oil for the gears.

Just drain the oil from the gear case, letting it stand long enough to drain fully and replace with the correct oil. If worried change again after a short run or two. If oil draining is milky it indicates water ingress and the cause should be investigated and rectified."

"pennzoil blend or full synth

"pennzoil blend or full synth tcw 3 runs very well,and should be available in canada.smokes less ,in my opinion.
look for a shift rod in front of the carbs,maybe have a friend move the lever while you look,if not there will be wires that run down to it,
post up the model num and we can tell"

Back