Logo

Converting to sealed cooling system

gkm24

Regular Contributor
"I'm sure that this is pro

"I'm sure that this is probably more involved than I am thinking but here goes. Other than buying a heat exchanger and some hoses, what else is required to do this conversion? Are the exhaust manifolds included in the sealed system or are they cooled by the water that exits the heat exchanger? Any info greatly appreciated as if it is costly, then I probably will not get round to it."

"The system that you are consi

"The system that you are considering is called a "Closed Cooling" system.
**Exhaust manifolds IN the system is a Full system. (separation of manifold and riser becomes necessary)
**Exhaust manifolds OUT of the loop is a Half system.

The issue in doing this to a previously raw water cooled engine is the potential rust scale that can eventually plug up the E/G side of the tube bundle within the H/E.
Then you have over-heating issues.

If you can figure out a way to avoid this contamination, then it may work."

Thanks for the reply. Please c

Thanks for the reply. Please can you explain further about the seperation of the riser and manifold. Also do you know of a diagram that I could refer to? Thank you.

A raw water system the fresh w

A raw water system the fresh water enters the exhaust manifold and elbow/riser from the thermostat housing and exits out the elbow/riser .

In a closed system the elbow/riser is BLOCKED off from the manifold as the antifrezze mix is circulated back thru the manifold and motor/heat exchanger.

A raw water hose now must be connected to a fitting to allow raw water to enter the elbow/riser and mix and cool the hot exhaust gasses.

Get a manual and look at the differnces.

"It would actually be correct

"It would actually be correct to say that for a "Full Closed Cooling System" the elbow/riser is blocked off from the exhaust manifold.
For a "Half System", the manifold and elbow/riser would remain joined.... as they would be for a "raw water" or "open" system!

Graham, point being..... either system uses the exhaust system "Elbow/Riser" to allow the "spent" raw cooling water to join the exhaust gasses and exit the entire system!
It's simply that a "Full" system requires that these two components be completely seperated schematically!

Graham, hope that your initial questions have been addressed!
Can you tell us which engine, what year, what drive etc?
Then someone can post a few schematics and/or images for you.
Also..... can you post a photo of your H/E and proposed components?

."

Thhanks. My engine is a 91 Mag

Thhanks. My engine is a 91 Magnum 350(carb version)with very low hours in a Celebrity BR200.
Any schematics greatly accepted.

"Graham, when you purchase you

"Graham, when you purchase your H/E and kit, this would be the time to specify the OEM installation.
The company that ends up providing the H/E and kit, may also provide the schematic.
Be sure to ask!

."

Back