Logo

NEED LM 318 aluminum valve covers

bootyscootn

I've gogled and googled fo

I've gogled and googled forLM 318 (any brand) of alumihum valve covers....I can not find them...I have a new reverse rotation engine on its way from CMEngines.com with cam = 270 hp...Its a long block. I have a Edelbrock dual plane high rise intake and 600cf Holly dual pump Holly carb on the way....I'll be push'n bout 390 hp....yea buddy...put soime pedestal seats on my Houseboat and go bass'n...lol

HERE'S DA SKINNY!!!! I bo

HERE'S DA SKINNY!!!! I bought a LM 318 longblock w/med cam it = 270hp...Now I need a high rise marine intake...carb and alum. valve covers...I just cancelled an order at jegs for Edelbrock intake and a Holly carb caz they are not marine....I need help where can I get intake carb and valve covers...keep in mind I wanna up my horsepower.....!

"The stock marine intake is pr

"The stock marine intake is pretty well designed, and it takes either a Q-jet or Carter AFB. You can adapt either to a MARINE Edelbrock 750 CFM carb--certainly enough carb.

To increase the hp you need to change the super mild cam to something more energetic--even a normal car cam would be an improvement. The heads are the chief bottleneck in getting more hp out of the stock motor, having tiny ports and valves designed to make good mid-range torque--think truck motor.

Jeff"

"I'm confused !

"ev

"I'm confused !

"even a normal car cam would be an improvement"

There's something here that I'm not seeing.

I have a 318cid = 195hp (2bbl)
<font color=""0000ff"">being marine, I thought that it was a smig above what the automotive equivalent.</font>
Option was the 318 = 225hp (4bbl)

I thought to get to the 270hp range we were talking the 360 Hy Po.

Now Frank is talking 270hp out of a 318 w/ a MILD cam.

Then Jeff comes back & says "..change the super mild cam to something more energetic--even a normal car cam would be an improvement..Holy Crow Batman..
AND THEN I realize that Frank thinks that he's going to be pushing 390hp !!! (that 440 sip pack power).
I think somebody bumped their head. (Maybe it was me).
Or
Maybe there going to be running the Newer Magnum Roller cam motor with the good heads @ 8,000 rpm (for a SHORT while).

Fred 156-M}"

Fred you are right and I made

Fred you are right and I made a mistake....but the longblock I ordered from CMEngines.com has a mild cam and is 270hp. I was gonna go with 360 heads on it and an alum. Edelbrock and carb...HeI Ignition and I figured the most I could get was about 320hp...I was in error b4. ...my engine is the LM 318 225 hp w/4bbl Carter....I'm stick'n with everything and just ordering the 270hp block!!!!

"i have a friend (or 2&#41

"i have a friend (or 2)
He had a 19 foot deep V w/ an IO
It would do low 50's mph range with a 302 sm bk ford 2bbl.
He wanted more speed, so,, high lift cam, E B Alum intake, Holly 4bbl carb , Mallory Electronic dist. 2 weeks of his time, Gasket set, pulled the engine to change the cam, a couple of other hair pulling situations.
prob went from 200hp up to 280hp.
When it was all over with & back on the lake, the boat still WOULDN'T do 60.
There is a thing called hull speed, speed a hull is designed to go. You gotta through a lot of power at it , to start going beyond that speed.

Your redoing it cause its worn out, I hope...
......there was nothing wrong with my buddies as it set, just that need for speed.

Fred 156-M"

"You are so correct on that hu

"You are so correct on that hull speed limitation.

Another case in point: 1985 Bayliner with a 350 Chevy. Guy put a 454 big block in--and went only a mph faster!

A case in point: Another 1985 Bayliner (mine) with a 315 hp SBChevy replacing the 260 hp Volvo Penta. No speed increase. Zero!

Both extreme cases, but that hull will not go over 30 mph with a nuclear reactor! Oh, it'll run great all day at mid-20s, but the hull drag above that increases exponentially.

Jeff"

"The old 1971 Tolly 28 weighs

"The old 1971 Tolly 28 weighs about 7,500 with twin 318's is a bit of a sleeper.

She pushed about 15 mph when I first bought her. After the engines were tuned-up, new wires, plugs etc. and the shafts were aligned and the props tuned we went for a sea trial and I opened her up to 4,000 we were quickly doing 45 MPH. The mechanic and I grabbed a hold and laughed our heads off in complete shock.

Stock everything.

375132.jpg
375133.jpg
"

"Great news!!! I spent 3 yrs.

"Great news!!! I spent 3 yrs. completely restoring my 1973 36' Kingscraft....aluminum...got it in the water last year in June....well it poured down rain the night before I put it in and I didn't think of it foolishly but it sure took on alot of water I didn't bilge out...well I still had it up to 3800 rpm and bout 25mph...so I bilged it and was at 4200rpm bout 30 to 35mph...I'm pushin about 12 ton....anyway then my tranny locks in forward...so March 1, I'm putting new tranny and same engine (but new) with cam it will be 270hp instead of the original 225hp....decided to stay with the Carter AFB and the original intake....gonna switch over to HEI Ignition though...I already have all that brand new...oinstead of the point system....so I'm probably gonna look at between 4400 and 4800 rpm...but will cruise around 3500...thans for the tip!!!"

"Tollys are good running boats

"Tollys are good running boats. I have a slip neighbor with a Kingscraft.

Does yours look like his?

Jeff

375144.jpg
"

Jeff how do I post pics of my

Jeff how do I post pics of my hoseboat....I don't see where to do it at and you seem good at it....I've been catching 50lb Bkues off the front of my boat I have alot of pics???!!!

36' Kingscraft....aluminum

36' Kingscraft....aluminum...--..I'm pushin about 12 ton....an

12 ton ?? or is that with the water in the Bilge.

Fred 156-M

No actually is is only 11 ton

No actually is is only 11 ton but on that day you was aboard and your fat head was an extra ton...so....didn't know ya was gonna dis me like that Freddie or I wouldn't have sent ya any info!!!!

"Don't be mad.
I had no i

"Don't be mad.
I had no idea that an Alum. House boat could be THAT heavy.
The boat in my Avatar is the heavy version of a 34foot Silverton, 13,500 dry as compaired to the 12,000lb Silverton.

Frank, I certainly didn't think that your 36' Kingscraft would be twice that.

the stupid fat head 156-M"

I'm not mad...was joking..

I'm not mad...was joking....but yea I think I'm even heavier than that caz I really an fully loaded with a lotta goodies! Hey thot ya was gonna post some pics of my rig?! But still need to know if there is a different high rise intake I can purchase other than using the original to asdd hp....I fiund a Marine Holly! But I might stay with my stock intake and I do have a good Carter AFB in it....that is a good carb by the way...had quite a few of them thru the years...but I'm thinking I can beef it up a few hp with HEI Igntion?????? Instead of points..whatta u think???

"Not a big fan of spending mon

"Not a big fan of spending money, Points have worked for me, but ya gotta fiddle with them now & then.
that being said, nothing throwes heat at the fuel like an HEI, (a must if you have a starting problem, ie flooding) & for ease of maintenance, its the way to go.

??? Why would this fat head have pictures of your boat???

Fred 156-M"

No this baby of mine the point

No this baby of mine the points are right on .018...the dwell on a digital meter is right on 30 degrees....I can let it set for a month not starting it and....pump it a couple times and fires right up....it warms right up....but I have a brand new distributor cam out of my '88 Dodge Ram Van that will drop right in this....I've made up my mind to take my intake off and take it to a high performance machine shop and have it port and polished....might give me 20 more hp.....so with the 270hp longblock....I should be get'n close to 300hp and that will satidfy my needs....I think I'll get 4500 to 4800 maybe even 5000 rpm if I need it!!!! Still will cruise at about 3500 rpm.

"I'm leaning back towards

"I'm leaning back towards points. Installed a new electronic kit on another 318 last week and the engine was running rough. Changed the coil, cap, plugs and leads only to figure out it was the new kit. No spark.

It was on a sea trial for a fellow that just spent a packet. Put the old points back together and we were underway.

My understanding is with boats it is all about torque and not so much about HP. Your prop and possibly shafts (mine are 1") could be affected under more HP. 4500 or 5,000 RPMs the possibility of cavitation would increase I would imagine."

"My shaft is 1 1/4" O.D.,w

"My shaft is 1 1/4" O.D.,w/a four blade 14" prop...It won't cost me anything to try the HEI and the only thing I have to do is change the plug gap from I think from .030 to I know the HEI is .060...so thats it....If its not hotter than will change back to points....I have't had any cavitation problems...My shaft has a big zinc ball around it to eliminate that problem....I have had no electrolysis problems and don't want any ...both 12 volt and 110 works great no problems....so I'm gonna stay away from a aluminum high rise...major problem there if i went with that...not gonna...gonna port and polish my original intake....rebuild Carter AFB...."

"Frank,

Better take a breat

"Frank,

Better take a breather for your next post.Thats 1 motor on a houseboat?I got carter afbs but would like the 1409 or you should go with the 1410 its a 750cfm and will drink it up more which youll like and give a lil more ummph
Thats a good lookin boat whats it really weigh"

Back