Logo

485 bendix gear

iceknight66

Contributing Member
"Hi there, I have a 485 mercru

"Hi there, I have a 485 mercruiser and im chasing a bendix gear, Im in australia and cant seem to get one,

Is there a drirect automotive match for the bendix gear? or a starter I can buy here that will suit?"

Or can I make the later style

Or can I make the later style starters (solenoid on starter) fit? Or Is the flywheel-ringgear different?

"This starter motor (in re

"This starter motor (in reverse direction) may fit other I/B engine applications.... I don't know! So I'm not sure if it is unique to M/C's own design 3.7L engine.

It appears that there are two types of starter motors for this engine. I believe Delco Remy may have been OEM..... Arco is a replacement these days!
Some use the Bendix drive....., some use a solenoid extended pinion gear.
Are you sure that yours has an actual Bendix drive motor? (I.E., no arm activating solenoid)

http://www.google.com/products?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1R2GGLL_en&q=mercruiser+470+s tarter+motor&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=hOhNS_3JEof8sQPMsaHWBw&sa=X&oi=product_result_grou p&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CCwQzAMwAw"

"Im 100% sure It has no arm ac

"Im 100% sure It has no arm activating solenoid, I need one ASAP as I have a gamefishing comp on next week."

"OK, then it sounds like you d

"OK, then it sounds like you do need an actual torque activated Bendix drive!

What is wrong with yours?
These do come apart.... it's tricky going back together...., but they can be taken apart and maybe a quick fix can be made.... depends on what is wrong.

Do you guys have Battery/Starter/Alternator shops like we do here? Maybe those guys could help you.
."

"Im actually from a marine dea

"Im actually from a marine dealership over here, we had a heap and threw them out a few months ago, they just never sold.. murpys law!... No one can seem to match them to anything. The bendix decided to engage while the engine was doing 3000rpm-fault key switch, the bendix is non exsitant haha,

I just thought maybe someone in the states knew excatly what the bendix comes off, someone over here did say it was an early ford.. but didnt know what model...

any idears on howlong postage would take to get a starter to aus from usa, as a worst case senario"

I'd complete your search f

I'd complete your search from the link that I posted. Sounds like you'd best get one shipped ASAP. And get the Arco with the solenoid!

Why get one wit the solenoid?.

Why get one wit the solenoid?.. what is the difference with the mercruiser later style starters (solenoid on starter)?.... Flywheel would also need to be changed?

"A Bendix drive extended pinio

"A Bendix drive extended pinion is different than a solenoid arm extended pinion..... but either starter shown works for this 3.7L engine and flywheel.

Bendix is rather old school by today's standards, IMO.
Very similar to the old Bednix drive "Prestolite" (direct through/no gear reduction) SBC starter "vs" today's SBC HTGR or PMGR starter motors!

Also, the Arco is still available and will be for years to come...., and THAT may be of value to you.
I am not aware of a HTGR or PMGR starter motor for this engine. Wish there was one. "

"Joey, I don't know withou

"Joey, I don't know without cross referencing p/n's.
If it does not, you've lost two more days!
Ouch!
uhoh.gif
"

Back