Logo

Looking for Factory VP manual 1991 570

quint

Contributing Member
For 1991 VP570 eng. DP-A drive...Is there a factory manual(not SELOC) for my VP. I see a guy on ebay from Fla. that claims he has a CD .pdf version but I'm not liking the feedback on him. I've heard things like VP never a made a public factory manual and downloads of them are not the real thing? I dont like seloc because it covers such a broad range of models through so many years. Is there a model or year specific manual out there? I see Mar.Eng.com has one for my VP but is it a actual VP manual or seloc?

"Are you certain that this is

"Are you certain that this is a DP A in 1991?
In any event, the manual will cover several models.
On my iPhone or I would send you a link. I will check back and will do so if no one else has."

"Ricardo here's a pic of t

"Ricardo here's a pic of the drive when I bought the boat 2 yrs ago..compared to pics from VP schematics on marinepartsexpress.com, the drive most resembles the DP-A..based on the pic what model do you think it is?
374851.jpg
drive

"Boat Tech's first link ma

"Boat Tech's first link may get you where you want to be.
The second link is for the SX-A, DPS-A.... this is not the same series drive!

I quickly looked up a 571A as I did not see a 570 listed where I went (%2C2200C.aspx,[url]http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-77456 50-04C-04C,,,2200C.aspx[/url])

It does show the anchorage that your drive does use. (some refer to this as the "small pin 290"... but it is not!)

I was thinking that by '91, this anchorage (ss swing bracket) had been eliminated. Guess it had not yet been eliminated.

."

"Ricardo thank you for double

"Ricardo thank you for double checking the link, I was only going by what they had written down right before you open up their link over there
wink.gif
, And this is what it said it should be in the link I posted, [SX-A, DP-A] And I remembered david saying he has a DP-A drive so I figured it should be in there and did not take the time to download it and check it out for myself, And that I know is not really a good idea because I know volvo has almost a million service manuals to cover each engine or drive they sale
lol.gif

Again Thank You
happy.gif

PS Your link does not work.
wink.gif
And I can not remove my link.
sad.gif
"

"[b]"because I know volvo

""because I know volvo has almost a million service manuals to cover each engine or drive they sale"

If you think that V/P has a million, look at the different parts and model #'s M/C has!
uhoh.gif

."

The only reason I believe this

The only reason I believe this drive is a DP-A is because I called VP and gave them the serial# for the drive and a rep said I'm showing it as a DP-A. Is there anyway to verify for sure? Thanks for the links Fellas..I downloaded the engine manual but before I download the drive manual I want to make sure I have the right one...Is there any major differences between DP-A through D etc...? They all look the same.

"I hate to use this comparison

"I hate to use this comparison, as I don't like calling these by the incorrect term.... but what you have is very similar to the earlier 290 Duo Prop.
This is what some call the "Small Pin" 290... but is actually the DP A or B.
After this model, was the DP C, C1 etc, and the drive changed in several ways (better hydraulics, no reverse latch, larger driven gear bearings, different lower unit gear shimming, etc).
Service procedures are very much the same.

If you need parts, be sure to use your correct model number.

."

Everything I possibly can. I d

Everything I possibly can. I don't have deep pockets these days so I want to be as knowledgeable as possible on my motor and drive so I know good mantinence and can trouble shoot & fix things myself if they break. I dont have a vast mech. background but I love to know how things work especially on my boat. I like doing my own maintenance & repairs & these factory workshop manuals seem essential in my mind. There also doesn't seem to many VP mechanics in my area that work on the older VP's and if u do find one you could wait weeks in a short boating season. My marina doesn't even work on VP's & they have to bring someone in from there contractor list only and the prices are automatically raised 20% so they can make $ on it.

"Yes..... the old guys are gon

"Yes..... the old guys are gone, the new young guys are intimidated by the AQ series drives and when they do work on them, the prices escalate.

Interesting that you are from NJ area. I work on these drives. I often have people from back east ship to me, and I then ship back. It ends up being very cost effective for them even with shipping these days.

That being said, these are among the easiest drives to work on. I have often helped via email or over the phone to people like yourself.

Initial points of concern for me would be:
Drive bellow replacement.
Store the drive in the DOWN position and raise no more than need be.
Drive shaft bearing cross replacement (what many call U-joints).
PDS bearings..... this is a BIG one on my list.
Lower pivot tube needle bearing and seals.
Lower pivot tube O-ring.
Water Neck fitting routine replacement.... another BIG one!
Routine prop shaft seal replacement.
Eccentric piston seal.... another big one on my list!
Anode replacement..... use the correct material for your area. (Zinc, Aluminum or Magnesium)

Lastly, but of no less concern..... main drive gear bearings.
If you are taking the transmission apart, this is an area of concern for most any of the larger engines.
The driven gear bearings rarely fail.

Use a little heat on the aluminum where the thread inserts are housed before attempting to remove fasteners. (most all threads are inserts on these)
I suggest this to anyone working on these drives. Propane or Mapp, not Oxi-Accet.

."

"Rate now the drive is fine&#4

"Rate now the drive is fine(knock on wood) it has low hours(202hrs)on it for 1991 In 4/07 I had a reputable VP mech. change bellows, gear oil, pres. test it, sand and paint, new zincs, recond. props and grease prop shaft. The mech said every thing checked out fine. The only thing I want to do when it warms up is change gear oil and sand and repaint best I can w/volvo primer & paint. I assume I should change the o-rings on both gear lube plugs/screws? If I ever have a major problem I'll probably be contacting you. Are the parts you listed above a concern when the drive has many hours on it or many seasons under water? This boat sat drydocked for many years before I bought it."

Back