Logo

1972 Mercury Lower End

fixitdaily

Regular Contributor
"I do have a problem and I hav

"I do have a problem and I have no Idea. I tried to adjust my lower unit to get it to shift into reverse. It wants to shift into reverse but it just grinds/Clck,clack,clack. So I took the lower unit off to see if it goes into reverse and it does however when I hold the drive shaft and try to spin the prop, Its hard but it slips(kinda seems like it jumps in and out of gear both ways. Another example in reverse when turning the prop. it turns the motor over maybe 2 rotations and then clicks (jumps)a couple of turns and grabs again both ways. The prop is not spun because it will turn the motor in forward gear all day long. My lower unit has these numbers on it 1623-6658 tried finding it online but no luck yet. Any Idea's?Mistake 1971 80hp motor. "

"It should click over when you

"It should click over when you spin the prop in either direction, but the opposite way (in reverse vs. forward). I'm thinking the dogs on your reverse cam inside the LU may be worn, or the cam isn't pushing the dogs far enough (also worn).

Jeff"

"So I am guessing it would tim

"So I am guessing it would time to rebuild.I was afraid that was going to be the answer.So question number 2 would be is it cheaper to find a used one in good condition save maybe some work.Another reason is my drive shaft is pitted with rust from age and not taken care of well,and they are expensive,So my thought was a good used lower unit(maybe killing 2 birds with one Stone).Thanks for answering so quickly.."

"If you are handy and have the

"If you are handy and have the tools a new dog and a seal kit (would need part of it anyhow so may as well do all the seals) would probably set you back about 150 bucks at the most.

If your gears are toasted add about 300 bucks to that figure. You can replace a reverse gear without changing the forward - BUT if you do have to replace a forward gear the pinion MUST also be changed and reshimmed (if that's a word).

The shim work is best left to a shop (I won't even attempt it myself, one minor mistake can chew up a new set of gears) so I spend the cost of an hours labour to let a "real pro" do that for me.....

On the other hand you may find a decent used lower for 500 bucks or less (especially now in the "off season") - of course that can sometimes be a crap shoot - you may get a "perfect" unit or you may get someones junk and be in the same spot as you are now.

Personally, I would "crack the case" and have a look - might be simply the clutch...."

"[url=""]http://cgi.ebay.com/e

"http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCURY-OUTBOARD-LOWER-UNIT-gearcase-45-50-60-70- 75-80_W0QQitemZ380195532445QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBoat_Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=i tem58856b6e9d
biggrin.gif
Plenty there."

Back