Logo

2006 Honda BF90 acting up at 1500 hours

eric_hawaii

"Aloha everyone,
I am having

"Aloha everyone,
I am having some issues with my 2006 Honda BF90's. I have read through alot of the previous post but cant seem to find something similar to my situation. Currently i have approx.1500 hours on the pair and my port engine is giving me problems. I use the boat daily for channel crossing's here in Hawaii so the motors get quite a bit of use. I do all the scheduled maintenance and even beyond. So far the motors have been very reliable with the exception of carb jobs which i have had done three times between the two motors. This motors starter isnt working properly and you can here it working but it isnt engaging. In addition to that the trim started acting up and when you hit the trim button you get nothing for a few seconds and then it Also, the motor is running really rough at idle, shaking really bad, and stalling initially until it warms up. At high speed it seems to have some power loss but it runs smoother then idle. In the past we have had the low speed jet issue resolved and i understand that whole concept about smoothing out at WOT if your lows are clogged but it seems to be something more. In addition to all of this both motors have been creating black soot after a days use. I have to wipe it off around the exhaust port after every use. Now, my questions are:

1. Any clues on what the issue could be?
2. Is it worth putting more money into these motors with the high amount of hours?
3. How long do these engines typically last?
4. Could the carbs be clogged or out of sync again? this would be the fourth overhaul.

Any advice is much appreciated. thank you very much and happy new year!"

"starter needs lube on the sha

"starter needs lube on the shaft only or bad battery connections

the trim switch is bad or the relay is bad

check oil level, if over filled bad t-stat or fuel pump"

Is the starter lube and thermo

Is the starter lube and thermostat something i can manage?any special tools or instructions needed?I have experience in working on automotive.

"JIT is right, clean the batte

"JIT is right, clean the battery connections with a stainless steel wire brush until SHINEY. Then, remove and clean the starter cable terminals until SHINEY! If you've worked on cars, then maybe you have jumperd a starter motor to bypass the control circuit. This is no different. Be careful!

Only you can determine if you have the skills and knowledge to do a thermostat. I can tell you that it ain't rocket science or I couldn't do it.

JIT is also correct in his tilt motor assessment. find the tilt motor relay and look at the wires where they enter the box for breakage and fraying.
Your boat probably gets a lot of spray doing what you're doing so the tilt switch is a distinct possibility too.

You are running rich or getting incomplete combustion and that is causing the black soot. Sorry to say, carburetors are not the Honda's strong suit. They are pretty finicky as to fuel quality and I spend a majority of my time cleaning them on a couple of rental fleets I service. If you are not draining them regularly, then begin doing so after this last repair.

1500 hours should be nothing to a properly maintained Honda. These motors are BUILT. I routinely check the valve lash on Hondas with at least that many hours and they seldom need adjustment. Check yours though.

What else? Plugs, wires, coils, life jackets and flares."

thanks for the replies.

Wa

thanks for the replies.

Was able to find a service manual from Seloc. Will begin to work on the engines tomorrow once my compression tester comes in. First i am going to grease the starter to get that working. All of the battery connections and the terminals and the starter are cherry. Not one spot of corrosion so i think it might be sticking from heavy use. I did pull the spark plugs today and look at them and the top cylinder's spark plug was wet. i manually started the motor and pulled the wire from that plug. there was no change in idle so this cylinder is not firing.

"JIT is right again!

Seloc

"JIT is right again!

Seloc, the "one size fits all screw it yourself handbook".

If you're going to be your own mechanic, go to:

Helm Publications

www.helminc.com

The best $100 bucks you'll spend on repairs.

Don't open the Seloc and get your $$$ back!"

"Probably not water but...? Un

"Probably not water but...? Unhook the fuel, drain the carbs and, with the plugs out and kill switched, have someone spin the engine while you hold a paper towel wrapped around a screwdriver tip up to the plug hole. See what comes out of the cylinder, If it's oil, it could be a stuck ring and you might free it up with some decarb spray like Sea Foam in a squirt bottle or even PB BLASTER. Spray it and let it set. Then turn it over with the plug out to get out the liquid and then a small squirt of oil and new plug and try it. Then go back and do your compression test. First dry, write it down and then wet."

"I should add that if you go f

"I should add that if you go flooding the cylinder with solvents, you should really change the oil, but not necessarily the filter though, before restart."

Back