Logo

Stern drive engine to inboard

sammi

Regular Contributor
I see what appears to be a pre

I see what appears to be a pretty nice 305 small block chevy engine that was in a sterndrive boat for sale. Can that easily be converted to an inboard application hooked up to my borg warner 71C?

"I haven't worked with tha

"I haven't worked with that engine, but I'd predict any issue would relate to the bellhousing swap, carb angle spacer, and possible starter rotation, if it had to change configuration."

"Where are you sammi?
I see a

"Where are you sammi?
I see a couple of used SB Chevs ( 350 's)
complete (carbs to oil pan, could include exhaust manifolds to, w/ V drives in MI. 25 miles north of OH. on the East side of the state if interested.

Fred 156-M"

"ooh
just remembered, they we

"ooh
just remembered, they were Black (Mercruisers maybe).
Sorry

Fred 156-M"

"You can remove the P/S pump,

"You can remove the P/S pump, cooler and lines along with the the shift linkage bracket and interrupter switches.

Bottom line, it is an easy swap. As Dave mentioned, you will need your old bell housing and starter. Also you will need to swap flywheels or have the starter ring changed to accommodate the rear mounted starter instead of the front mounted like on the I/O engine.

If you have a V drive you will need to turn the elbows around, this usually involves changing the oil lines since you'll have to remount the remote oil filter (if equipped).

Post any questions you might have."

"Well, I'm replacing a 318

"Well, I'm replacing a 318 chrysler so I can't "swap out" anything from my old motor. I just saw that engine for a good price and thought it may be easy. Freshwater Fred, I think I have seen the motors you are talking about. I may check them out. If anyone sees a good running inboard 305 or 350 I may be interested. If a 318 Chrysler definately interested. I live in Erie, Pa."

Ugh! "Dreary Erie".

Ugh! "Dreary Erie". Spent all winter--outside--working on GE locomotives there. Near froze to death!

Jeff

"I recently went the other way

"I recently went the other way with my personal boat and may have the starter and bellhousing you need.

PM me if you're interested.
374785.jpg
"

"Thanks Rick. I'll keep th

"Thanks Rick. I'll keep that in mind but I think I have a good lead on a Chrysler.

Fastjeff, You would be one of a handful working at GE now. They have the capacity to build something like 600 locomotives a year and have something like 100 orders for the next 2 years. We also have about 37 inches of snow in the last 4 days. We expect it here but this is getting old."

I remember the snow! Hope the

I remember the snow! Hope the business picks up. Lots of friends worked there.

Jeff

Back