Logo

2001 mercury 50 hp mercury stalling out

"My mercury is stalling out, i

"My mercury is stalling out, i checked the carbs they are getting fuel and are full.. checked each cylinder for spark they are all getting spark. what happens is i will choke start it it will turn over with no problem, then i will start it with no choke and it will start but then in a matter of 20 to 30 seconds it will just idle off.. it will stay running if i give it gas, but it spits smoke out.. any suggestions?"

"Paul, while your carbs may be

"Paul, while your carbs may be getting gas (from the tank through the fuel pump) it sounds like your low speed (idle) jets are getting clogged up.

Of course that assumes you are using fresh gas and the sparkplugs are relatively new."

"i am going to get new plugs t

"i am going to get new plugs they should still be good but i am going to buy new ones any ways, the gas is 93 and i use star tron gas treatment every fill, but i am going to clean the jets again maybe that is the problem."

"the stalling is from my carbs

"the stalling is from my carbs getting flooded, the mechanic said you dont need new floats unless there is fuel in your old one, and if not they are still good. checked the floats no fuel in them, but my motor is flooding. the floats lay level, what else could cause the carbs to flood?"

"well when i open up a carb, i

"well when i open up a carb, i replace things inside
'
sounds like worn needle"

Re: "My mercury is stalling out, i

"My mercury is stalling out, i checked the carbs they are getting fuel and are full.. checked each cylinder for spark they are all getting spark. what happens is i will choke start it it will turn over with no problem, then i will start it with no choke and it will start but then in a matter of 20 to 30 seconds it will just idle off.. it will stay running if i give it gas, but it spits smoke out.. any suggestions?"
Mine did this. Lower gasket and head gasket were toast.

Back