Logo

Alpha One Trim Tab Question

wblazer

Regular Contributor
"Hi Guys,
I have a couple of

"Hi Guys,
I have a couple of questions about Alpha One trim tabs. After reading over service literature, several state to mark trim tab location before removing. Why is this critical? And if out of position what will the results be?
What do you do to reset to proper position?
Thanks for all responds given."

"Moving the trim tab affects l

"Moving the trim tab affects low-mid speed steering stiffness, reset is simply put it straight."

"nope, which is why you see ju

"nope, which is why you see just flat plates on some.. it actually is also a ANODE which is supposed to save the drive from corroding. (shouldn't be painted)"

"The tabs (with the fin at

"The tabs (with the fin attached) will also help to counteract the prop rotation. Most (smaller) boats will want to pull slightly in one direction (usually in the direction that the prop turns). By offsetting the tab a wee bit in the opposite direction you negate this tendancy. That's why they advise you to mark the location when removing them. If they go back on the same way that they come off, you should have neutral steering if you had it before removing the tab."

"Bob,

My boat does want to

"Bob,

My boat does want to lean toward the starboard side. How much do you suggest that I move the tab to level it out?"

"I dont think the trim tab eff

"I dont think the trim tab effects leaning, I've seen leaning under power can be from a bent Skeg, or just unbalanced boat. (and wind)"

Thanks for your help guys. I u

Thanks for your help guys. I use my boat in the river always have floating debris to dodge. My skeg has broken pieces on both trailing ends. I wonder if mounting a hydrofoil over the damaged areas would cure the leaning problem? What do you think?

"Ayuh,... If you've got a

"Ayuh,... If you've got a Leaning problem,...
Make sure the loading of the hull is Balanced...
If that don't help,..
Go to Trim Tabs,...
Smart Tabs,...
Bennets,...
Lencos,...
Etc...

The Torque tab over the prop is for Torque steer, Not hull leaning...
Whale tails should be flat out, Outlawed,..."

"Bondo,

Not knowing anythin

"Bondo,

Not knowing anything about hydrofoils. What is the problem with them? And should I be concerned about the broken ends on the skeg?"

"Walt, Bob Hawes has explained

"Walt, Bob Hawes has explained this correctly!
Keep in mind that even a propeller change requires re-setting!

I'll also mention that for those of us with Power Steering, Hydraulic Steering and/or No-Feed-Back steering systems, there should be a concern for these Trim Fins/Torque Tabs being closely adjusted!

The simple fact that WE do not feel the "Torque" at the helm wheel, does not mean that the steering components are not fighting this torque!
This often leads to pre-mature steering component wear and failure..... and we aren't even aware that it is occurring.

I find this hard to believe that M/C did not figure this out! Maybe they want the service shops to have this repair work!
angry.gif

I sure hope not!

."

"Walt. Brian and Bondo have it

"Walt. Brian and Bondo have it pretty much nailed (as does Ricardo with his power steering observation)as far as a boats list goes. The tab adjustment will not correct listing, just torgue generated by the prop's turning. A very small (1/4" to 3/8")amount of turn in the opposite direction to the thrust will generally correct the problem IF you have prop thrust issues. All boats will be a wee bit different as that's why they suggest marking it once you get it nailed. In your case you'd want to straighten out your skeg before making final adjustments."

"Ricardo. Is there any recogni

"Ricardo. Is there any recognized way to determine prop thrust with power assisted steering? I imagine disconnecting the power steering to do an initial check would work, but I've really never considered this before. That may be because this is the first boat that I've had with power steering! I assummed that the thrust was nuetral because I couldn't feel any pull, but it probably is there.
Bob."

Thanks guys for all you commen

Thanks guys for all you comments. Now I understand what the trim tab does and how to adjust it. I used the wrong terminology on my lower unit damage. It is not the skeg. I will start a new discussion on that later.

Walt

"[b]"Bondo,

Not knowin

""Bondo,

Not knowing anything about hydrofoils. What is the problem with them? And should I be concerned about the broken ends on the skeg?"

Ayuh,... Those Whale Tails create massive loads on the Outdrive, Vs. the loads being on the Hull with real Trim Tabs...
They also tend to Cause more problems than they cure, especially when trimming the drive....
They also are known for Snapping the anti-Cav-plate where they mount, usually taking Large pieces with 'em...

"My skeg has broken pieces on both trailing ends."

That quote leads me to believe you're talkin' about the anti-Cav-plate, Above the prop,...
Not the Skeg, below the prop...

If you mean the Skeg, Below the prop,...
Whatever you want to do is Fine...
Other than a minimal amount of tiller steerage from it,+ the limited protection it offers to the prop,...
It really don't matter...

If you're talkin' about the anti-Cav-plate,...
Well,... That depends on the Amount of damage,...
A few nicks,+ jambs ain't so bad,...
Massive missing pieces could be a problem,..."

"Bondo,

Yes you are wright,

"Bondo,

Yes you are wright,I mean the anti-cav-plate. I am missing about one inch on one side and about two on the other. What will this cause and how do I repair it?"

"no problems if you have missi

"no problems if you have missing pieces. I think your problem if you lean is trapped water in a compartment in the hull.

Normal to lean if your hitting waves at a angle say 2+ feet at a angle. Or you have more weight on one side of the boat.

With the tab question the boat will want to pull left or right if the tab is set center, then move the rear of the tab in the direction of the pull one click at a time.

Run it still pulling move it again till you almost have a straight line when running on plane."

"Bob, Oh yeah..... the steerin

"Bob, Oh yeah..... the steering torque is there, alright! It is very difficult to set one up for P/S, Hydraulic or No-F/B systems......, but IMO, it is worth the effort!

."

Back