Logo

Mounting Heat Exchanger

"The main different between th

"The main different between the 'suggested' system and the 'normal' ones used today, is that the normal one in fact are two almost seperate cooling loops with engine block and manifolds partly split.
The suggested one is one loop with manifolds and block in series. That worries me slightly as I see a big risk of un-ballance and lack of manifold cooling when thermostat is closed.
However I would need to see the circulation pump and hook-up first."

"Morten makes a good point, an

"Morten makes a good point, and I thought I had touched on this!

With only one engine circulating pump, this pump must do all of the work on the E/G side for a Full System (exh and engine).
What must be understood is the small by-pass in the stat housing that allows coolant to continue flowing regardless of progressive thermostat opening (as I eluded to in my previous post).

."

"I understand the need for the

"I understand the need for the by-pass in the Thermostat housing, and my Thermostat Housing has that incorporated in it.

The only thing that I have to do is either find a Thermostat that is a Thermocon Develvo unit with 180 Degrees, or adapt an Automotive one, which won't be past my capabilities.

Using a Full Closed Loop system, there will always be coolant in every passage where coolant can flow, and using the by-pass, there will be no "Stagnant" areas whilst the Thermostat is closed.

Bruce.

PS. I am even considering the possibility of incorporating another pair of inlet and outlets in the coolant side of the HE, and running a separate circulating pump just to feed the Exhaust manifolds, so that the Engine is on its' own, and both are using the same supply. The Bypass will still need to be in place, but not as large."

"Bruce, I'm on my way to T

"Bruce, I'm on my way to Tasmania. I work for chips and salsa with my Margaritas.
We'll get this thing working!
biggrin.gif

."

"Ricardo,

The Chips and Sal

"Ricardo,

The Chips and Salsa are on the table, but I will have to go out and get the Margaritas on the way back from the airport after picking you up.

But, whilst waiting, I still need to know the best place to mount the HE? High, Low, or in the middle?

Bruce."

"'I still need to know the

"'I still need to know the best place to mount the HE? High, Low, or in the middle?'
You have to mount it as low as needed to be able to put the expansion tank higher! Preferably above the circulation pump.
I guess the engine room layout then will give the rest of the answer."

"I can place it anywhere, with

"I can place it anywhere, within reason, and place the Expansion any anywhere as well, so is there a better place than another?

I am going to mount it Thwart-ships, with the drain plugs end slightly lower than the other end when sitting level on the trailer.

Bruce."

"I agree with Morten! Let you

"I agree with Morten! Let your engine bay help decide the best location for the H/E, and place the expansion tank at the highest elevation.
The H/E need not be slanted or lower at the drain plug side. I would simply install it level!"

"Thanks Morten and Ricardo,

"Thanks Morten and Ricardo,

The assistance you have given me is going to be put to good use tomorrow when I finally mount the HE, and get everything plumbed in.

Bruce."

Back