Logo

More Ted Williams questions Sears101

douglasnc

Contributing Member
"Hi again guys, Fired this 197

"Hi again guys, Fired this 1974 7.5hp up today in a trash can full of water.Didnt see any water blowing out of those two pee holes on back of drive. But water was coming out of a fitting on bottom of engine housing. that water was warm and i'm guessing it's supposed to exit there. But shouldn't water also blow out of those lower holes while in gear? Do i need an impeller? if so, is it any harder than the mercriser impeller I replaced last year? And will I need any new seals or gaskets? Oh, Also noticed alittle water leaking out near engine/lower unit area.Didn't seem bad, and drained out opennings in housing. Seal i guess..one more question please...While running engine up to WOT and back, I noticed enging would rev up high and then die down from that RPM to a lesser RPM..Turning the screw with a spring changed the RPM at times back near WOT but it wouldn't stay at that RPM..Woundering if I may need a new carb gasket. Sprayed some lawn mower tune-up(blaster brand)into carb as it ran and it seemed to help.Think i'm loosing prime from new style tank.Engine will die ever so often, and i'll notice the primer bulb needs a few squeezes, then it'll run again for awhile.Does the vent need to be closed or open on the fuel tank? Engine RPM transition from idle to WOT seemed kinda slow, but not real bad, and motor seemed to run smooth in mid range.Just doesn't seem to maintain full WOT RPM's.This engin doesn't have the built in fuel tank on top of engine.Had old style male fuel fitting changed over to hook up newer carry on tanks.Thanks for any ideas and guidance about these issues."

"The fuel pump element in the

"The fuel pump element in the back of the carburetor may need changed. If you remove the carburetor from the engine, you will see a red colored rubber diaphragm in a hole in the carburetor flange. This is the fuel pump, and these should be replaced periodically. You mentioned that you have to reprime the engine periodically so it seems this may be your problem."

"Thanks Tom, I'll get one

"Thanks Tom, I'll get one of those and try it again.Still concerned about not seeing and water spraying out of pee holes on lower housing. Ordered a new impeller and I hope that fixes that problem. Again, I really appreciate you'r insite Tom.Would never have thought about that being my fuel delivery problem. Thanks again!"

Back