Logo

Anyone have edlebrock flooding problem 1409bs

"Not yet. I suspect you may ha

"Not yet. I suspect you may have got some ?? crud in there. Pull the top off, clean out the needle and seats, reset the flost level (if needed) and all should be well..

Jeff"

brand new carbs out of the box

brand new carbs out of the box.thinking i might have an angle problem. struggled with this in august/sept then had other family issues and just got back to it to try and be ready for early spring.85 silverton 34c w/twin 270 crusaders.both carbs on both engines flooding.to look at it the engines have a pretty good angle back.not sure what the max allowable is on the carbs.i am using the origianl angle plate spacers from the q-jets and the engines are original.mounts are tight and the shafts line up fine.fuel pressure is just about 3.5 to 4 psi with gauges in line. crazy!

That's different! You nee

That's different! You need the carbs to be level within about 5 degrees sitting still. Dead level would be even better.

Looks like there's a couple of carb spacers in your future. I suggest you buy/ borrow one of those angle measuring gages to see what angle spacers you need.

Jeff

"I'd be inclined to lower

"I'd be inclined to lower the float level 1/8th of an inch, if needed, after checking the needle and seat for adequate sealing (no leaks).

If the carb being "plumb" is critical to its operation, it will have a lot of problems underway, in unprotected waters. We all know these carbs aren't prone to that class of problems so there has is a simple fix - just got to find the cause first."

"For the record, my 1409's

"For the record, my 1409's have been in significant seas with a deep vee hull (lots of roll, lots of pitching), no flooding. Likely +/- 30 degrees in all axis of rotation! Anyway, set the carbs level at rest or maybe even your cruise angle to afford them the best metering accuracy. One easy thing about the 1409's is the ease of top assembly removal, usually without need of any new gasketing. That's necessary to inspect the float height and inlet valve operation."

".."One easy thing about t

".."One easy thing about the 1409's is the ease of top assembly removal, "

True, but you'd better have a selection of those ~*!* Torx screw drivers on board.

Jeff"

""True, but you'd bett

""True, but you'd better have a selection of those ~*!* Torx screw drivers on board. "

Yep; carry a T25 driver for these. Curiously, the Carter equiv carb used slotted screws."

"If one doesn't desire the

"If one doesn't desire the superior design of the TORX fastener, they can always replace them with another drive style - phillips, slotted, or hex."

.."If one doesn't desi

.."If one doesn't desire the superior design of the TORX fastener"

Anyone care to vote on that statement? I vote drop them all in the middle of the ocean!

Next?

Jeff

"As some of you probably know.

"As some of you probably know...Boeing aircraft have the standard Control Column for each pilot whereas all Airbus aircraft have the side mounted joystick. When Boeing officials were asked why Boeing had not gone to the "joystick' the answer was "NIH"..(Not Invented Here)
biggrin.gif

The same can be said for one of the best "screw/screw-driver" set ups known...the Robertson screws and screwdrivers but alas...not popular in the USA because "NIH"......it was invented here... in Canada.

If any of you have ever used the Robertson screws and screwdrivers you know the ease of puting screws in ceilings, even horizotal situations etc.... and I use them whenever I can on my boat.......Torx?? - no thanks
374610.jpg
r"">

374611.jpg
"

"Agreed on the Robertson screw

"Agreed on the Robertson screws (and never knew their name before. Thanks!)

Jeff

PS: The main problem with Torx bolts is that the shank of the bolts (larger sizes) is MUCH larger than the diameter of the tool. Guess what happens when an old, rusty, stubborn bolt doesn't want to come out?

Example: Rear wheel axle bearings on the old X-cars. I broke a half dozen Torx bits off trying to remove the bolts; I even had to drill the damn heads off them now and then. That is inexcusable!"

""The main problem with To

""The main problem with Torx bolts is that the shank of the bolts (larger sizes) is MUCH larger than the diameter of the tool."

Just like button head allen screws. My vote for the worst. The torx on the carb have all survived over a dozen R&R cycles, all OK. There was a time where I had to drain water out of the carb at sea. Racor totally filled, as were the lines running to the tank. awful...

ps; all the dock SS screws around here use the square drive. The package even comes with the driver bit."

I had flooding problems with a

I had flooding problems with a brand new Edelbrock carb. Had to clean the needle and seats twice before problem was cleared up. I had also installed a new fuel pump. Fuel filter is before the fuel pump. Small pieces of debris was keeping needle from seating properly. Over 200 hours since with no problems.

"..."Fuel filter is before

"..."Fuel filter is before the fuel pump."

Bad idea. You're looking at a fuel starvation problem that could burn a piston.

..."Small pieces of debris was keeping needle from seating properly."

Then you have either a filter that's way too coarse, or a pump diaphragm that's disintegrating.

Fastjeff's Law Number One: You need a FINE filter (10 micron) AFTER the fuel pump and a coarse filter/ water separator (30 micron) BEFORE it.

Jeff"

"Two microns is awfully fine--

"Two microns is awfully fine--that's for fuel injection I suspect. It could plug up on you. If you run a carb, 10 microns is all you need.

Jeff"

Back