Logo

Borg Warner 71C question

sammi

Regular Contributor
"I read a manual online that s

"I read a manual online that says you can "turn the pump around" so that you can use a left hand rotation engine where a right hand rotation was on it before and keep the prop spinning the same direction as it was. Am I reading that right? I am restoring an old 24 ft fiberglass lyman on a budget and if that is true it would increase my chances of finding a running takeout to put in. Right now I have a right hand rotation Chrysler 318 engine so I could double my chances and change the pump and use a left hand rotation engine if I could find one. Also, could I use my own distributer in a left hand rotation engine or does that spin opposite as well. In the end, I will probably buy a replacement long block but if something came up too good to pass up...."

"Jim, thats not correct. Altho

"Jim, thats not correct. Although you can reverse the pump setting and thus reverse the direction of the transmission, the engine and transmission must turn in the same direction.It can be a little confusing, but you would really be turning the transmission in reverse and that is not acceptable. Don"

I see what you are saying Don.

I see what you are saying Don. I guess I should have known it wouldn't be that easy.

You can certainly reverse a BW

You can certainly reverse a BW 71c by rotating the flange of the pump. This will allow you to purchase a LH rotation engine. I believe Jim is stating not to use "reverse" to go forward.
I have made the change myself and it takes about 3 minutes. See marinegears.com for more info.

"Jim:
You can reverse the pum

"Jim:
You can reverse the pump easily by removing 4 bolts, rotating the round pump housing to the other position and re-attaching the bolts. Then you can use the transmission on a left hand rotating engine but you will need to buy a left hand rotating prop."

"Here's a picture of the p

"Here's a picture of the pump.

374424.jpg
BW Velvet Drive pump

Back