Logo

Mariner 90 HP 1994 Spark problem 1994 90 hp

joefl77

"I have a Mariner 90 HP 3 cyl serial# OD284160 year 1994. I have a spark problem. One cylinder good spark, second weak and third, no spark. It is a used motor so there is a possibility that a different powerhead was put on it.

Everthing was fine until the magnet on the flywheel let go. I understand there are two types of ignition systems possible for this motor. The original and a newer one that superceeded it. I have replaced the flywheel, trigger, stator, and the ignition box. I recently learned of the two different ignition systems. My son, who has been working on this, took the parts to the shop and they assured us we have all the correct "newer" componets.

He said the stator checks good, but there is not test for the trigger or ignition box. My thought is that one of the new parts may be bad but they at least a hundred for each and electrical so its difficult to swap for testing.

Any ideas for trouble shooting?

Thanks,
Joe"

"The shop is half correct - th

"The shop is half correct - there IS a test for the trigger, both a simple resistance test plus DVA tests.

So find somewhere else that knows how to test the trigger, since it could cause the symptoms you note and if the trigger is ok, replace the switchbox (which they correctly note has no tests available)..."

Back