Logo

Mercury 2008 four stroke 50HP six beeps alarm

tifandr

"Hi everybody,

"Hi everybody,
I have a 50HP ELPT four stroke, it has about 100hs of use, and i've done a service 5 months ago when it has about 64 hours. Last week end i went to the river as usual, started the engine as always, after 30 mins i reach destination, and then after about 10 mins in idle position i heard 6 (long) beeps, if i accelerate the beeping stops, but putting in idle again after about (5 - 10 mins) the six beeps appears again. Any Suggestion? i cannot find my owners manual so i'm blind can anybody tell me what the six beeps means? i've already tried replacing fuel (that for some reason i'didnt rely on)"

Maybe overheating. When you&#3

Maybe overheating. When you're underway enough water flows thru to stay cool but at idle the waterpump impeller is so worn out that it slowly overheats (10 min) then when u pick back up the speed helps push water faster to coll down.

Have you replaced impeller or checked tstat?

"The "guardian" system

"The "guardian" system on the 4 strokes is a little more complex than that found on 2 strokes that we are often more familiar with.

The 6 beeps has nothing to do with either oil or cooling system temperature.

It indicates that the ECM (engine computer) had detected an error in one of 3 sensors.

Either the MAP (manifold absolute pressure sensor), MAT (manifold air temperature sensor) or TPS (throttle position sensor).

Since you are getting no other symptoms other than the alarm, it's too early to even make an educated guess as to which one is failing (they can cause significantly different symptoms when they do go completely).

Only course of action at this point is to get it into a Merc dealer or tech and have it hooked up to a DDT which will tell you which sensor needs replacing.

If you choose to do nothing and either the MAP or the TPS is the culprit you could find yourself paddling back into the dock when the motor won't start or run at all when the sensor finally completely gives up - don't you just love technology...."

"Richy, Graham, thank you very

"Richy, Graham, thank you very much for your comments, and Graham let me ask you one more question, do you have any idea why the alarm sounds only in idle position?
And other questions to every body which is more obvious, what do you think about this engine and it's new technology?"

"I would suspect that it has t

"I would suspect that it has to do with the amount of crankcase vaccum being produced which would lead me to suspect it's the MAP sensor.

As you increase the rpms, the vaccum pressure changes and the sensor is no longer in "fault".

But that is just a guess. It could easily be a fault in either of the other sensors that is simply showing itself at low rpms (at least for the time being) - but that is one explanation that immediately comes to mind.

That's the problem with these new motors. You can't even unhook the sensor to see if it's the problem, because if it's "not there" the ECU "pretends" it is and feeds itself some factory default numbers that it expects to get from the sensor.

However, in your particular case, if you did unhook one of the sensors and you didn't get the "beeps", it would be a pretty good indication that, that particular one was the unit throwing the bad numbers back to the computer...."

"If you get it to a dealer wit

"If you get it to a dealer with a cds, there is a kit the dealer can buy for about 90 bucks that has all the connections that hook up to the sensors individualy. That way the computer can test each sensor without going through the ecm. Graham is right, when a sensor fails the ecm gives out some default factory numbers to keep the engine running in a safe mode if possible."

"OK, finally i went to the off

"OK, finally i went to the official service and guess what? they told me that the impeller was broken...No way i said, the outboard it's almost new, it has 95hs my experience with other outboards is really different i'd changed the impeller just in case and after at least 3 years of use (60 hs per year). The technician told me that he never saw something like this, please take a look at this photos http://picasaweb.google.com/TIfanDR/Impeller#
Please after seing them tell me what you think, pay attention to the "two marks", for me is impossible to believe that the impeller could get this kind of dammage without man's help, i cannot believe that this is what should i expect from mercury original parts, i cannot believe the technician but before sending the case to mercury i decided to get your opinions. Regards, ChawFan"

The same happen to me summer 2022, then I disconnected all el cables to the sensors, clean and then I used WD 40 in all connections, after that it has run from idle to 6000 rpm without any kind of hesitation.

Back