Logo

Looking to buy Sea Rayder 1995 F16 120 hpAdvice

C

Cynthia

" My family is looking at a 19

" My family is looking at a 1995 Sea Rayder F-16 120 hp. I have seen here and on another message board that it runs great for a while on the water, but then when you cut down to a slow idle, it stalls and they can't get it started for about 30 minutes.

I'm leary about purchasing our friend's Sea Rayder if that is a persistent problem. We have two teenage daughters and wanted to teach them how to drive and about boating safety, etc. with this cute little boat.

Any advice?

Cynthia "

" Cynthia,

I have no

" Cynthia,

I have no idea as to the reliability of the engine you are speaking of, but most engines run great when they are properly maintained. ie, winterize, use the proper marine fuel additives and oils, bring it in once a year for a tune-up/check etc..

If you are new to boats, be sure you are prepared to pay for the cost of maintainence, heed the manufacturers directions, and you should be all set. From what you have said, I am assuming that the boat you are actually looking at has no current problems, but you have read something concerning these problems on other boats (engines) of it's type.

It's fairly easy to get ripped off on boats, but buying from a friend is a good start to a smart purchase.. another good idea is to take it into a marine shop, tell them you want it checked out for possible problems and not to fix anything. Get an estimate for possible repairs - this will cost you (probably about $100) but they can give you a good idea as to it's condition. Lastly, take it for a test drive and really beat on it - try driving it a bunch of different speeds, open it up for 20 minutes at a shot. If there are bugs you should be able to find them then. My two cents, good luck,

Jon "

Re: " My family is looking at a 19

im lookin to buy the same thing. the f16 with the 175hp. were in merritt island, fl. if ya find a couple or some good information, please forward it. my friend has one for quite a few years now, an hes been quite lucky with it...but in general, ive been study'n it for a couple years, an they seem quite finicky. im handicap, so i got my wife needs to be able to get up an go...no problems!

Back